Ear plugs while skiing

david_ski

• Baller

I have seen a few skiers use ear plugs before their sets. I have not had a chance to talk to them about their experience (pros/cons). I have road biked and waterskied for years without any hearing protection. Speeds above 30mph, there is quite a bit of wind pressure on ones ears.

I am concerned about my long term hearing loss from high speed wind noise, and trying to prolong any further hearing loss.

I am also concerned that a hard fall with hearing protection could cause eardrum damage.

Thoughts?

• Baller

I have become more cautious about my hearing as I play music with a band and had some vertigo issues. To correct the vertigo, they put tubes in my ears and one didn't heal right...so, I HAD to wear ear plugs.

As I started doing it, I realize, I kind of liked it. It further blocked out the world and the ear protection was an added bonus.

I figure if driving with your window down can damage your hearing, waterskiing can't be much different. A couple kids at our club had some ruptured ear drums from barefooting falls..so...ya...just a little added protection.

• Baller
I've perforated my ear drums several times and now use vented ear plugs on a "leash" threaded the tag on my vest. It keeps me from losing them in a hard fall. Occasionally they do fall out, but having them right there makes it really easy to get them back in. Very little hearing loss with them in unless I get water back behind them.

• Baller

As someone who picked up 2 ruptured eardrums while water skiing, I understand the need for protection. I wear a neoprene headband whenever I'm skiing.

One of the the things I noticed on the falls that resulted in a rupture, was in both cases, it was the initial impact that caused the tear. Now with the headband on, it takes the initial slap and you simply put it back on and get ready to get pulled up again. Since I started using the headband about 25 years ago, I haven't had a rupture.

YMMV but it works for me.

Hitting the water at high speed while water-skiing can rupture your eardrum. Regular exposure to cold wind and water can cause bony growths in your ear canal. This can trap water in your ears, which can result in painful infection. In some cases, growths begin close to the ear canal which can cause deafness.

But with advanced technology, people make use of thicker wetsuits and neoprene accessories to fight against these.

I had a perforated ear drum after skiing and I was concerned whether I had "Surfer's Ear". So, I consulted hearing experts in Toronto in order to make sure that I have no problem. If you think that you have got a problem with ear, then it is better and safe to seek help before it becomes worse.

• Baller
Probably a more important reason to wear ear plugs not mentioned is for anyone skiing in cold water - the development of "surfers ear". Effectively the ear canal closes up with a boney overgrowth from repeated exposure to cold water. 3 of the guys i ski with have significant overgrowth already - I've been advised i need surgery - look it up, not a very nice procedure.

• Baller
I wear Mack's earplugs when I swim and ski. You can get them at any pharmacy. They are about 2/3 the size of a grape. I recommend smashing two of them together and using two of them in each ear. I slalom, trick, and barefoot, and have never had a blown out eardrum. I am prone to ear infections which is the primary reason I wear them. They cover the outside of your ear so nothing is inserted into your ear canal. I keep a supply in my boat. I do lose one on occasion from a hard fall, but I keep a supply in the boat..