Supershell 3 release mechanism, I'm in love!

skialex

• Baller

For the Supershell 3 Reflex has change not only the material but also the angle of the arms in the new release.

Arms now are more vertical like the Silvretta 400/404. I'm bought, this is a great step forward, better connection less prereleases, I hope that it will be available as a part, it's time to change the old 80's ugly Silvretta 400s to this new stainless cool black & orange release!

3nv7kcgkj1ps.jpg

• Baller

You had me excited with the "love", but comparing the pictures of the old and new side-by-side on the Reflex site it looks like the main difference is that some of the bend has been taken out of the arms to allow more toe room. The distance the top of the release extends back doesn't appear to be much different - it would still impart much pain to my shin on contact.

Nice evolutionary changes, but nothing revolutionary IMO.

• Baller

@skialex I also saw they now have a upper cuff cant so the upper cuff can to moved to match the leg angle!! this is huge !! its great seeing all the new boots available with a Sileretta release. Reflex/HO/Goode.

Ps I'm still using the 404 I find them at ski shop around the NW.

• Baller

@Deanoski I use the 400 because the cross bar is welded on the straight section of the arms and the metal is not weakened from the bend. I have broke 3 404, I still prefer them over 500/750, I buy them on the German eBay (cheaper than anywhere else about $30 a pair).

• Baller

From there website.

"A new release mechanism (840) with arms constructed of stainless steel. The shape of the release arms have also been designed more vertically to keep the heel strongly connected to the plate. It will be also good for skiers who like to keep their rear foot big toe near of the heel of their front shell"

I hope the new material holds up well, mine is pretty rusted up but it still works good and that the ultimate purpose. From my experiences Stainless spring steel seems to fatigue easier.

My biggest problem has been the heel cup. When are the new Carbon fiber wrapped heel cups going to be available?

• Baller

I don't want to take the thread off topic but, @gregy contact Reflex, their new black heel cup seems to be holding up much better than the old white one. It honestly looks no different, in construction materials or process, but I'm guessing the material allows for more flex, because I haven't seen a crack or any damage since they sent me the replacement, free of charge.

I want this new release. Will it be a direct bolt-on replacement for 500/750 users?

• Baller
@aupatking the straighter arms and the overall design makes me think that it can be used the same way as a silvretta 404. If you use the black or black/white shell you only need to turn the heel block upside down (the 3 rivet block), if you are on a Supershell it might require a more difficult mod so in that case it could be easier to change the shell too!

• Baller

@jedgell I like the thin liner, I have a medium volume foot, I tried the thick liner but it was just to tight. the ski partner is using the thick liner he has a low volume foot

so it all depends of foot volume and size since the shells come 4-6-8-10-12 you may be between sizes so the thick liner takes up volume and thin liner gives you volume.

• Baller
@Deanoski I just noticed what you wrote, i don't think that it has an upper cuff cant, if you are talking about the orange piece, it's a stop from flexing to much to the back. I have installed such things to a black boot with the white cuff. Personally I use the black shell, I think that I wouldn't like the more free movement of the other shells

• Baller

@skialex I have been using that Roxa boot that Reflex calls the super shell for 4 years now, the boot already had a back stop built in. I think @Deanoski is correct, the orange part is a cuff cant adjustment.

I have also experimented with locking the cant of the cuff forward, which I think holds promise, but I need more sets with that setup.

I prefer to have my boots move freely at the ankle, so I tend to modify my boots to allow more freedom of movement. This helps me in being able to get my center of mass forward as is desirable on newer ski designs.

And in reference to another comment you made, while the Powershell boot may be more flexible plastic, IMO the design itself makes it feel stiff because of the tabs that rise up into the cuff preventing freedom of movement of the cuff and ankle. I cut those out of my Powershell.

So many different personal preferences in boots by skiers it is hard to choose one boot or setup that works perfectly for everyone!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

The orange 'blocks' are the back stops.. they are now fitted to all reflex boots models as standard. They prevent too much rearward movement of the cuff, whilst the Achilles starp prevents too much fwd movement.

The canting adjustment is from the ankle rivets. Notice the 'allen key' hole and on the outside of the rivet is an arrow. This indicates where you have rotated the rivet to adjust the cant...not sure if it is fitted on both sides of the ankle. Those that have used this on snow ski boots will recognise this feature.

I have the mk1 super shell, and i would like to reftro-fit a canting rivet...so far no macgyver inspiration has come to me.....

• Baller

@gavski to my way of thinking, the boots themselves have a limited range of cuff movement anyway. The addition of a backstop would be to force the cuff to remain canted forward.

The strap on the back limits forward movement. But in reality the cuff can only move forward until it is limited by the cuff itself striking the upper part of the arch. This actually happens before the ankle reaches maximum angle of forward flex.

I do see in the photograph that there is a new style cuff bolt. I would assume that it makes the cuff removable. I would think the pointed part aids in keeping the bolt from backing out, but I have not closely examined that. Roxa does make snow ski boots also.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

The cuff bold head is oblong so when you turn the bolt the cuff will go up or down on the outside only a very typical adjust for a snow ski boot so you can adjust the cuff to match your leg angle. it is not removable it is a rivet style bolt.

on the Goode and HO shell the two little tangs in the back of the boot you can also just drill a hole 1-2 cm down and from the original spot and extend the slot. the boot will free up forward and backward if you cut them off the boot has no progressive flex fore and aft.

I have been playing with the HO shell and this one mod for me makes the boot have more rang of movement fore and aft I notice the aft most the ski does not wheelie out of my off side turns with this small mod

I will take a pic and post it late today

Deano

• Baller

The best Mod I have made is locking the cuff on my Supershell forward at 22 degrees, with small bolts on either side. At 35 and shorter I always have had a tendency to straighten my front leg as I lean, when I load. This really helps to keep the front knee bent with more lean in the direction of travel. Adam Chord came up with this, and it really works well.