How cold do you guys ski

Canuck44

• Baller
Not sure about where you are all at but here in north Sask the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder. Saw 5 C earlier in the week as a low and the lake temps are starting to drop. I'm sure I can keep from whining to much for a week or two but I'm wondering what you guys do to extend the ski season. Right now I'm sort of a mid June to end of August skier and if I could get another month or two in that would be great. I use a shorty wetsuit in the early and late season and am considering getting a full but should I go to a dry suit? Also need an air dam in the front of the boat to help keep it warmer and am wondering if anyone ever added heated seats to a boat that didn't have them. Any tips are appreciated or should I just go hunting?

• Baller
I live in MAnitoba. I ski from early may till thanksgiving. I have a shorty and a dry suit. I ski on a fairly small shallow lake that heats up and cools off quickly. I usually ski in my dry suit about 4ish weekends a year. Then I go hunting!! Hope that helps

• Baller

We ski when water is almosy freezing.

Drysuit, west under suite, neo socs.

Neo binie.

Nitril, latex nurse gloves under ski gloves.

2 par of the better thicker quality.

Last type 5 sets.

Have fin and do not expect pb.

Trick Worlds better when cold.

• Baller_

I started open water skiing this year in February, but it is usually March. Usually, I'm running buoys in April through October. I'll wear a drysuit until June and start wearing it again in late August or early September. I bought a Camaro neoprene top this year and it is so good I am considering buying the full Camaro suit to reduce the amount of time I am in the drysuit.

The club boat has a heater and we use a cooler full of hot water for hands, feet, gloves and to warm up bindings. My personal boat has a heater, shower, and heated seat. I installed all 3 options myself. The heated seat was quite easy to install and you just need a pneumatic stapler and stainless steel staples.

Some of my best practice scores are in a drysuit in September. I have the Bare Ultra Dry baggy drysuit and can wear sweatpants, sweatshirt, and my vest inside with a lot of mobility.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

When I was a full time New Yorker, our rule of thump was that if the water is in a liquid state, it was a ski day.

The neoprene beanie is probably your most important purchase after the spring suit. Then a dry suit, but I don't go to a dry suit until it gets really cold (i.e. Combined air and water temp below around 90 or below). As for the hands, you just have to suck up the cold. There is no good solution for cold wet hands that also leaves you with a reasonable grip.

FYI, a spring suit with a slick exterior that sheds all water is warmer than one that doesn't shed water. A neoprene dry suit is, in my opinion, much better to ski in and is more durable than a baggy suit. They are harder to get on and off, though.

Lpskier

Northern Alberta. Last year, my first set was end of April. Final one was beginning of October. Both times, water temps were around 4C. This year it was mid April, but still hopeful for an October pull.

Drysuit (or camaro wetsuit) is the key. And a bunch of warm clothes in the boat / on the dock for when finished.

• Baller
I do a 5/4 wet suit as soon as ice goes out and wouldn't do anything else. If you get a good wet suit you don't even get wet. Just make sure you don't get one to tight or it will stretch at them seams and water will leak in. The last wet suit I had lasted over 10 years before it started letting in water at the seams but I would still have my boxers mostly dry after my ski sets.

• Baller_

I forgot to mention that the water temp when we start is usually just above freezing. This was one of my ski partners breaking the ice at the launch with his truck so we could get the boat in.

91qkb0becq81.jpg

• Baller

#mnshortliner a good full wetsuit might be the way to go I didn't realize they didn't let much water in. I have 2 shorties and they just help with the initial shock it seems.

I have a heater in the boat but might look at the hot shower im sure I can find a thread somewhere on the basics to do it. Also going to look into the heated seat got to keep the spotter warm or I'm not going skiing often.

I have skied around on the day we get breakup in May and into October but more as a novelty where I concentrate on not falling rather than ripping it up. It would be nice to get a good 4 month season in the lake.

• Baller

Wisconsin here. Usually start as soon as ice is out, early-mid March. Last year we were still skiing until right before turkey day.

Last year was my first year with my Camaro wetsuit. I also have a baggy dry suit, which I'll never wear again. The Camaro is that good. Honestly. When it's REALLY cold, I'll wear a heater shirt over the Camaro, but even that isn't really necessary.

We do the same trick with a cooler full of hot water. Keep your hands out of the water when you drop. Closed toe boots like the Vapors make a world of difference too.

• Baller
This morning we had a pretty stiff head-tail and it was 59F in Chicago. It felt absolutely freezing and I couldn't ski worth a damn. Maybe I'm getting old but no thanks on the cold skiing. I did order a Camaro top that should be coming in the mail soon so maybe that will change me but everything felt fast and I felt really weak this morning, no fun. Even cramming my foot into cold bindings, you can tell the rubber is stiff and unyielding. I'm thinking 70F or greater, or you'll find me at the gym instead.

• Baller
I'm in Wisconsin and although I own a drysuit I have no taken it out in about 5 years. I have found that a full wetsuit and a HW shower on the boat keeps me much warmer. Fill the suit up with hot water before you jump in and you will never feel the cold. As soon as you get out rinse off your hands and head with warm water and you are good to go. I also have a reflex binding which keeps my toes out of the open air. When I used to have animal bindings and my toes were exposed things were way worse. I have also found that a neoprene head band does wonders if you keep your ears from the wind. This year the water was 38F for our first ski. We usually put the boats away halloween weekend and one guy takes his out of storage for an annual decemeber run before the water freezes.

• Baller
I usually ski late April to mid October here in Mass. I am not a huge fan of dry suits so I generally ski in a full wet suit. There are people skiing before I do and after but I have gotten soft in my old age. I am even worse now that I am returning from being out for most of the year. I wore a heater top this morning and the air was in the 70s and the water was probably in the low 70s.

It depends, how many days has it been since we last skied? But honestly here we are blessed with really only a month or two (Jan and Feb) that can be hard to get a set in and honestly we do ourselves a benefit taking those off and cross training and recovering. But also we are not as tough when it comes to cold as the guys up north. We don't do ice, but they don't do sauna water temps either like we do in the summer.

• Baller
Mid April through Mid October. No good skiing is done outside that time, just a good way to get injured. I may be getting older but never interested in skiing when it is that cold in Massachusetts. Plus most years it is ice from Dec through March

I'm with @jhughes, when it gets cold, I hit the gym more frequently. I now ski late May through early September. I used to go early May through late September/early October, in central Iowa. Now I haven't worn my drysuit for 6 years, and my new Camaro full suit has been worn once. Is it age? I just can't loosen up enough to ski when the water is too cold.

• Baller
Earliest for me was early March, got to snow ski SilverStar in Vernon BC and waterski in the same day! it was amazing! Water temp was is the mid 40s so the wetsuit was needed. Last ski of the year was late October, temp in the low 50s

• Baller

In the spring I 'break the ice' with water and air in the upper 60's. I won't really get into it until upper 70's with the sun out.

In the fall it's pretty much the inverse.

I love to ski, but I put so many things on hold while it's hot that I have to take advantage of the cooler weather. Plus, I HATE cold water.

• Baller
So heaters going good and air dams in looking for heated seat parts and a shower . Never thought to prefill the wetsuit with warm water that's brilliant. So is bringing a cooler of warm water. Also going to shop for a full Camaro wetsuit and neoprene cap for the spring. Thanks for the ideas

• Baller
@MISkier , do you know if anyone has a pad for the passenger seat? I understand it would be challenging since the seat parts lift up and can be removed. If the water in the local lake holds, I am thinking about going out into late October, until the first snow hits. Will have to stick the boat in the garage though and keep it warm.

• Baller_

@sunvalleylaw, I don't know of any specific observer seat kit, but I'm glad you asked, because there is an important note about this.

The heated seat kit in my link requires that you purchase both the seat back and the seat bottom together. They only work as a two piece set connected together.

What I would do would be to buy the exact same kit for the observer seat (or two, if you want to heat the entire width of the seat). Then, I would buy the connectors I listed and create an extension of the wire between the two pads so there is enough slack to flip up that seat back and/or remove the seat bottom before having to disconnect the two.

As always, use a corrugated wire loom wrap to protect the wiring itself from chafing or stripping.

Since you have Malibu, get the factory switch plate covers for a clean factory look. I can take some pictures of my install, if needed.

• Baller_
@sunvalleylaw, I forgot that your boat is an older model and does not match the current switch style or even the previous Contura design. There may not be a factory switch option for you that is for heated seat. Probably need to just select an aftermarket switch.

• Baller
Yeah, that is a project that will probably be lower down the list as compared to some other things. But when I get there, probably I will just use a basic toggle or maybe a telecaster three-way switch if there are two heat settings and off or I could do an amp knob marked to go to 11!

• Baller_

Heated seat was the best investment project for keeping the driver (great wife) happy. Easy DIY project & many seat heater options (sizes) available on ebay for low $ investment. Heated seat keeps occupants warmer than the hot air heater IMO.

Skier trick we use is the narrow newspaper bags over the feet & under the drysuit seals to keep feet sorta dry in tighter fitting bindings. On really cold days, I have a pair of scuba dry gloves (drysuit for hands) that work well to reduce total numbness on fingers. Scull cap is also nice for real cold days. And don't forget, it is always advantageous to fully zip the drysuit... And if you don't (for wife) frigid will have a dual meaning.