Crossover Boat ~14k

wakeback

I'm looking to buy a boat that is good for wakeboarding as well as slalom skiing. I did tournament skiing in college 12+ years ago - could run the course at 15 off, 32mph - and was getting close at 34mph. Now I wont often have access to a course, and so will likely be free-skiing mainly. I also enjoy wakeboarding - can do some grabs, 180s, and a wrapped 360.

So I'm looking for a boat that would put out a good wake for wakeboarding, but also a slalom wake at least good enough to be able to try the course occasionally. I've never much thought about how good or bad a wake was, I've just been happy to get the chance to be on a boat (right now I only get to boat 1 week a year, behind a '89 Tristar). I'm looking to buy a boat to use most weekends when the weather is nice, and of course if I'm spending my own money, suddenly I start over-thinking everything, and its hard to figure out what I'd be happiest with.

I was hoping to spend around $14k, but could go up to $18k for the right boat. Any opinions? I'm wondering if I should get something with a ballast I can fill for wakeboarding. If so, I would like it to be integrated, so the bag is hidden and I can just flip a switch on the dashboard. Or there is something like the Tige taps system, or the malibu wedge. Not sure how well either of those actually work in practice. Surfing looks like it could be fun, but I don't know that its feasible in the type of boat I'm looking for, and in my price range. I've heard of guys throwing 1000s of lbs of ballast in their boats to do it, but that seems like it would be hard on the boat?

I'm thinking maybe a Malibu Sunsetter XLI, or Tige 21i, or maybe a moomba (not sure if I'd want an outback, ouback ls, or mobius). Do those sound reasonable? Anyone have any thoughts to help me along? Its so hard to keep track of different boats in different years, which hulls they have, etc. I've definitely got analysis paralysis right now.

Thanks!

Thanks! I assume that is the LXi model with the diamond hull? Definitely keeping an eye out - right now those are going for ~$18,500 it looks like. (That is the asking price anyways, not sure how much you can talk people down). Also hoping I can find something within a 10hr drive of Omaha, NE :smile:

• Baller
I have a 2007 Moomba Mobius LS (direct drive). I'm extremely happy with it. I ski into 32 of with it with no problem. It has one ballast tank in back that i use for wakeboarding and foiling. It has a wakeplate (Trimtab - like the Tige Taps system) which allows me to change the wake depending on what I'm doing and when just cruising. When I go to Lake Powell I don't have to worry about swamping the boat when I'm going down the main channel and some huge cabin cruiser drives by.

Look for an older Sport or Air Nautique. A friend had a 1998 Sport with ballast tanks, i think the Air came with a factory tower. Pretty good boat for both slalom and wakeboarding. We had a 1993 Sport, but it didn't have built in ballast. The 1998 had a softer wake for slalom and was decent for wakeboarding. The 1993 was a little firmer for slalom, but had a great kick for wakeboarding. 1993-1997 is the older hull, new one from 1998-??

• Baller
While I'm a huge fan of the 99-04 Sunsetter LXi (just sold mine a few weeks ago) and think it's the best boat of the three your mentioned, they're also getting pretty old (not an issue if it's been taken care of and the upholstery is liveable). If you prefer something newer, you might find a Moomba in your price range and it'll be perfectly adequate for your range of skiing and boarding (I've done back rolls & 360s behind one with a single ballast bag; I also ran my first -32 off/34mph in the course behind one).

• Baller

You can also look for a Sunsetter (not the LX or LXI). They were available with the diamond hull like the LXI but were 6" shorter and skied the same.

Maybe a SN206, not sure if those are getting sub $15k but a possible option.

Thank you so much everyone for opinions and advise. I'm in Omaha, NE - so in general pretty far from everything, ha! Here is what I've found so far:

https://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/d/2000-mastercraft-prostar-205/6269011230.html- $18k - Prostar 205 in Omaha. I wouldn't have to drive, but its got a pole rather then a tower (I'd rather have tower). Also more engine hours then other 2.

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/boa/d/2005-moomba-outback-ls-sk/6250217321.html - $18k - 2005 Outback outside of Denver. Newest boat, has tower and ballast. Not sure how it'd slalom ski though

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/2001-malibu-sunsetter-21-with/6261911318.html - $16k - 2001 Sunsetter. This isn't the LXi, but thinking that might be okay? This is the cheapest, and seems like the best deal. Has the ballast, wake plate, tower, low engine hours. Of course its also farthest away from me, but I could possibly make a weekend trip out of buying it. 

There is also a '01 Sunsetter LXi on facebook for $18,500, its got a tower, and perfect pass and says "many other options", but they didn't list any more details, or even engine hours. 

• Baller

Outback DD ski fairly well. My neighbor has one with a tower and uses it for slalom and his college aged sons wake board behind it.

Careful on the Sunsetter and make sure it has a diamond hull and not the wake hull. Search "SV23 wake vs diamond", it should lead you to a guide on the difference.

• Baller

I wouldn't let the low hours discourage you. Not uncommon for people to buy a boat only to find they don't get out near as much as they imagined.

If you put skiing first, I'd take the Moomba or LXi first. The older Sunsetter LX and later Prostar 205s have pretty harsh slalom wakes @ 32/34mph (at least in comparison to the other two). The reverse is true if you put wakeboarding first - the LX with MLS and wedge is a great wakeboarding setup.

For the price range, I personally put some value on the Perfect Pass included with the LXi. Great for wakeboarding, awesome for slalom if you ever get in a course. If the other options include a wedge (likely) or even MLS (possible), and if the upholstery is in good shape, that'd make a pretty nice boat

• Baller

Low hours where the engine was regularly started and used for 30 minutes or an hour at a time every weekend and properly stored is fine. Same boat could be run hard for it's first year of ownership towed and stuffed in a shed and not run. When that happens usually at least a few valves are open. Rust can form in the cylinders. The oil drains down into the block leaving the innards dry. The seals sit in one position where they can get dry with time.

The second boat decides to be sold so the owner pressure washed it, wiped down the seats maybe buys a new cover. Sells as a brand new looking boat which has maybe some internal engine issues. Easy to look for signs though a boat mechanic can bore scope the cylinders and you often see rust or similar in the valve covers.