Non-BOS approved boat problem - Listing Mobius LSV

BraceMaker

• Baller

Here's one for the mechanics out there, and anyone who knows Moomba hopefully.

Brother in Law is running a Moomba boat that's listing pretty badly to the starboard side, the ballast bags are empty. It has a central hydraulic attitude plate but does not have trim tabs on the sides. No noted hull fouling or puddling water.

It does seem to be taking on a good amount of water and the bilge will regularly pump out when you drop onto idle.

But I cannot find a culprit - how likely are these boats to soak water in the floatation foam?

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal when you say "fill it with fresh water" how much water are we talking about? Also I would think salt water would be better if the goal is to get him into a new boat.

• Baller

Seems fairly unlikely that it has flotation foam.

Assuming you have already checked the drip rate on the shaft seal.

I'd go with the suggestion of putting a few inches of water in the bilge when on the trailer (keep it below starter level) and see if you have any drips. Also take a look to see if you are missing any tracking fin bolts - had that issue on an 04 response that was taking on water.

• Baller
Is the boat listing at rest or when driving. I had an older Nautique that was horrible when driving around if not weighted with counter balance. If you put the boat in the water with the dog house and floor removed you can find leaks fairly easy. Sometimes leaks don't happen until the engine is running or even the boat is driving. I would take a close look at the fiberglass mufflers also. After getting old they start to leak while the engine is running. And as stated check shaft packing.

• Baller
Ya the leak isn't as concerning as the listing. I'm not even going to bother tracking that down for him the lisiting I find bothersome - no clear missloading - the owner thinks it got worse after switching props, but we're talking a noticable list maybe 10-15 degrees to the drivers side But even with the driver sliding into the jump seat its a hard list.

• Baller

Sounds like two different problems. One of the owners at our lakes had a Moomba and

it was a very difficult boat to balance when driving a slalom skier. It took different amounts of weighted bags depending on passenger weight. I hated driving that boat and was glad when he sold it. The water sounds like to shaft seal/packing. You can usually

just lift the engine cover and see the drip