SCREW SIZE FOR BINDINGS

bananaron

• Baller
I am having a difficult time with the size of screw for my 2016 HO V TYPE R.Are most of the inserts now a 10-32 screw that needs to be used and if so what is the length???It seems some of the inserts are different size and won't take a screw.Any info would be appreciated..............thx

• Administrators

8 32 NOT 10 33 for the standard holes. I have no idea about the direct connect holes

Length really depends on if using donuts on the top or washer's or whatever. When in doubt I was use a slightly shorter screw.

• Baller

Yes so if the screws start in some and not all some inserts are gunked up. Length depends on the plate thickness, the foam underpad and if you use washers.

Thread the screw in and it shouldn't bottom out without the plate to be safe.

Screws reach maximum strength in the thickness of a standard nut so for 10-32 that's about 4 threads of engagement. So length is safe 1/4 to 1/2 if long add washers. Or chop em shorter with a wire stripper.

• Baller

@Horton what is it that you disagree with my post? The screws which came with my boots fit my old ski just fine, because the threads of the inserts began just below the ski top. I couldn't even get a single thread started using them in my new ski because it uses a different type if thread insert where the threads are recessed about .25". Had to run out and buy longer screws.

• Baller

HO inserts are not sighted like on most skis, 8.32 is the size, the usual length for countersunks is 5/8" and 1/2" for flat screws. On some inserts these screws hit the bottom before the plate is tightly screwed on the ski (not a bad thing in my opinion).

If you are not comfortable with that you can use 1/2" countersunks or add flat washers to compensate for screw length.

Alex,

• Baller

@B_S If the inserts are recessed 1/4 inch, something is wrong with the insert. Most skis are skins over a weak core. If the insert is set too deep, it is only held in by the core - weakly. Inserts can get driven in too deep whenever the threads are damaged. Be very wary of ski inserts that are recessed.

@skialex If you bottom out the screw against the top of the insert, you have a good chance of backing out the insert instead of the screw. Avoid screws with shoulders, or where the threads don't go all the way up, or are too long.

8-32 x 1/2 inch pan head stainless machine screws are the most common for mounting ski bindings.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski the recent HO inserts are brass blocks put in while building the ski, not threaded inserts put after and held by the core and top sheet. A friend had an issue with a broken tap inside a VTR's insert, that's how I know.

1/2" pan heads is what I use, but it is also common to use countersunks with aluminum washers in order not to hurt the plate's alloy. When ordering screws 5/8" is the same length as 1/2" pan head.

They measure the length including the head whereas with pan heads they measure only the threads. So 1/2" countersunks are shorter than 1/2" pan heads.

I don't use alloy plates though.

Alex

• Baller

@skialex Brass blocks molded in? Interesting. I'm not sure I could make that work but HO might be able to. Use the anti seize because replacement might be a problem. Or re tap to 10-32.

I trust those screws are stainless. Only use stainless on ski hardware. Flathead (stainless) screws with a countersunk washer (or a Gatorade lid) work well too.

Good information. Thanks. I'll be ready if I have to fix a HO ski now.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski I did not understand, (Greek),1/4 inch recessed is huge, I meant only a little play in the washer when screw is tight, is not a bad thing.

I couldn't drill the broken tap out and slowly after a lot of trying things I cut around the tap, rethreaded the brass block and installed a new threaded insert. First and last time doing this, I had to go slow and cool down the brass all the time, took for ever.

Alex

• Baller
@Horton and @eleeski this picture should help. The inserts are flush with the top, but they are a different type which use a socket head above the threads so they can be inserted using a Allen wrench. Upon closer inspection, the threads are about 3mm or 1/8" below the surface. Still, the standard 1/2" pan heads are too short to catch even 1 thread. It's just the way it's designed, and it works perfectly fine, but longer screws are needed.