Move forward

dhofert

So I was making decent progress in July and due to my drivers other commitments I only made it out 3 days at the beginning of August and then this past week a few times. Seems that I have went backwards in that time. I feel like I am really far back on the ski and video proves this. I can see air under my front foot when I start my turn. I am hoping it is all in my head and a few times out I can get back in the rhythm of things. I think I am scared of the wake again which is holding me back.

The question is, should I bother moving my boot forward a hole? If so do I move just the front or move front and HRT the same?

I am trying to focus on hips forward and handle down as much as I can but feel like I am just not getting enough time behind the boat to make real progress.

Thoughts?

• Supporting Member

Sorry to say, skying the front foot can't be fixed with a binding move. That requires a change of weight distribution, which requires a chance of stance.

Handle down is a result more than an action. Tough to focus on.

Hips forward is good.

Better: Bend more at the ankles to move weight distribution forward.

I figured it wouldn't be the answer, that is why I asked first. I will try to focus on bending at the ankles this weekend and go from there. Where I get confused is when to be forward and when to be back.

Do I want to be forward through the turn, then lean back for the wake crossing, and back forward as I change edges on the other side?

Keep in mind this is all open water.

Pretty much every skier struggles with being too far back. I know I do.

Different things help for different people. Thinking about being "long" during the turn works for me. If I don't, I sit back and the turn is toast. "Being long" results in straight legs and no bend in the waste. In fact, I actually think about straightening my legs in the turn. If these two things happen (straight legs and no bend at the waste), you're likely in the sweet spot of the ski. And the ski almost turns on its own. I also think about the ski swinging around and in front of me. Then I connect and hold this position through the wakes. I don't have to think about bending my knees/flexing my ankles through the wakes. That just happens if I'm stacked. I just hold this position.

With respect to the turn itself, i can only really swing/carve the ski (vs turning it like a hockey skate), when I have the right speed, handle control, and edge going heading into the turn. Which means a good wake crossing. Which means a good turn that puts me in position for a good wake crossing. The chicken and egg of skiing. Sigh.

On another note, I also believe that thinking about leaning straight away from the boat when not turning (including between wakes) isn't necessarily the best way to think. Doing so means you're often on the back of the ski, pulling with all your might. Essentially slowing yourself down. Instead, think about being stacked, handle to hip, and leaning in the direction that puts you perpendicular with your ski. This means leaning slightly towards the wake. Which seems terrifying at first ... But is safe and fast, so long as you're stacked on your ski with handle near your hips.

• Baller

Of course, everybody is right about adjusting your style. Work on that.

But sometimes, a ski setup can make proper technique difficult. To see if it is set up right for you, experiment. Move the bindings as far forward as you can and see what happens. Then, move it back to the stops and see if you like that. The whole time you will be working hard to keep the whole edge in the water. That alone might improve your style.

I have moved bindings 1 inch forward of stock to make a ski feel right for me. Sometimes you can blame the equipment. But it's usually your style....

Eric

• Baller
I am kind of a beginner slalom skier (3 years and 32mph to 34mph) and I still am too much on the back of the ski, no doubt but when I focus to feel the pressure on my front foot first and initiate the turn with my front foot and my front knee, I can feel that I am way more efficient. And then if I can keep my ankle and knees bend forward when crossing the wake and standing like a proud chest, the handle come naturally to my hips and that put a big smile on my face at the end of the set. I do a lot of 32mph stes to get muscle memories too and good luck to you @dhofert