First Buoy ever for my 8 year old. Or is that actually a half a buoy?

escmanaze

• Baller

Well, I can't believe the progress my 8 year old has made this summer. Before yesterday I don't think he had ever even been out of the wake, on a kneeboard or anything. Yesterday, with no real coaching from me at all, he suddenly got a crazy bone in him and started getting all aggressive. Nobody was more surprised than me. It was awesome!! Look at him backside ball 4 on his way to 5. Yeah buddy!! What a great day on the water.

• Baller_

@escmanaze that's great, but looks pretty fast for 2 skis at his stage of development. I would slow the boat down to 13-14mph and he will run the full pass in a try or 2. Then increase by 1-2 mph to be sure he runs 4-5 passes.

Both my kids started running the course on 2 skis at 10mph, but were 5yo at the time.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield Here you go. We took it down to 11 mph and he kept making progress. 2 days ago he made it all the way through at 11 and by the last pass yesterday he was making it all the way through at 13 mph. Hooray!!!

And for those curious, progress is being made toward getting up on 1 ski, but you gotta keep having fun on two until you're there.

• Baller_

@escmanaze thats awesome. Don’t be in a hurry to go to 1 ski. He should be able to run the course in the high teens on 2 before switching ( but that could be next week at the rate kids progress)

Have him get REALLY wide on the gate pullout - that will teach the space before the buoy concept and lots of margin for mistakes that you don't get going buoy to buoy. Its much easier to learn that concept on 2 than after the transition to 1.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
It does look a little like he is aiming for the next buoy. See if you can get him thinking about getting there well before the buoy and backside it. I have drawn it out for kids in the sand or on a piece of paper to explain the concept. The kids have a hard time when talking about 20 feet or a boat length.

• Baller
You are doing it all wrong. 8 year old? You are supposed to go out and buy a tube, you know, the kind that looks like a lazy-boy recliner, and drag the kid around in circles for hours for the next 10 or so years. Oh wait, never mind, that's not you, that every single other boat on my lake.

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield

Well, I know you said not to rush in to 1 ski, but sometimes nature just comes at you fast. My dad brought his 63" HO freeride and that combined with the easy up deep V rope seems to have made all the difference and he just popped right out on the second try with no coaching or anything. He's officially a slalom skier. Can't go back now.