Reflex Liner Question

Nando

• Baller
My thin Reflex liners are about shot, as is my R-type rear liner. I have very little space between the shell and my foot, but the fit with the thin liners is great. The short Fluid Motion liner for my rear boot is tempting, but it's pretty pricey ($121 Canadian). Fluid Motion has a thin liner that's going for $25. At that price, it's pretty much a can't lose proposition, but does anyone have any experience with them? Also, any downside to using a high liner in an R-type rear binding? (I ski occasionally with a guy who does that and he says it's fine.)

• Baller

I use an Intuition Aqua liner for the R style rear. I use a Velcro wrap around the ankle to keep it tight around my leg. It's not an issue so long as you do that.

Any other suggestions on thin liners are appreciated. My daughter's foot is growing. Her Reflex shell is fine, but she needs a thinner liner than the Intuition Aqua she is currently using. Was going to just pick up a Reflex at Nationals. I wasn't there, but my wife and daughter said that the have changed them and they are goofey/uncomfortable now.

• Baller

@MrJones Try heat molding her liner. Be sure to use toe caps for comfort and some grow room. The liners can squish a lot and might give a good new fit to a growing foot.

Snow ski shops with a good bootfitter can do a great heat molding job if you are uncomfortable with the process. Liners can get ruined when cooked wrong.

I do like the thicker liner for comfort and performance - but that's personal preference.

Eric

• Baller
Just received the $25 Fluid Motion liners and they are extremely comfortable and look well-made. For the R-style, it will need to be shortened or have a strap added, but at that price, if you're looking for replacement liners, I don' think these can be beat.

• Baller
My intuition liner for the rear is shot, and i’m thinking of moving to a short liner in the rear (r-style boot already). Can you run footbeds in the standard reflex short liner? It is unclear if that is a moldable liner from descriptions I’ve seen.

• Baller

When I switched to the R-Style rear, I did not go with the short liner. Instead I opted for the thin Reflex Liner, which came with the Velcro strap attached to it. Fools your subconscious into thinking you are still in a full boot, but now have a greater range of motion. Is heat moldable and works great.

• Baller
Thanks @Ed_Johnson - I found the transition super easy and don’t think I need to fool myself with a taller liner any longer. I have been running a full liner since August with an R-style and no velcro. I actually have a brand new set of intuitions in my garage, but I kinda like the idea of a shorter liner if I can still run my footbeds. Maybe I should just take them to a tailor/seamstress and have her shorter it.

My 2 cents- after blowing through 2 reflex thin liners (the Velcro is chincy) I decided to try the newest reflex short liner for my r-type. It’s not very comfortable.... not sure what to do. I liked the thin ones but the tongue would pop out sometimes if u didn’t strap the daylights out of the Velcro and even then the plastic piece would turn in it and it would just be all jacked up. Bad design and cheaply made for both so I’m looking for another thought.

• Baller

I was pretty surprised at how easy the heat molding process was at home. I heated the oven to 225, put the liner on a piece of foil, got nervous after 2 minutes and turned off the oven. I let it coast while I made some foam toe caps to tape over the ends of my toes and put on a sock. After about 10 minutes, I pulled it out to find it was soft and gooey and I put it in the shell and clamped it in. Magic improvement on comfort! Very easy.

Eric

• Baller
I recently switched from a Radar rear to an R-Style. I hesitated to make the switch because I really like the Radar (Intuition) liners. The standard R-Style liner fits the binding well and does the job. The Radar liner could be used but the tongue wants to pop-out, so a strap would need to be used. I like the Fluid Motion (Intuition) wrap style liners. The short one is expensive because the top is hand sewn - which I could do without. My ideal liner would be a short FM Tour Pro, possibly with the Radar footbed. My $.02.

• Baller

An advantage to a high rear liner (with an appropriate strap to keep it closed) is that the high liner will provide some protection against shin burn. Maybe you could even use a spray leg to keep the liner closed and completely deal with the shin burn problem without getting razzed by others!

Eric