2004 prostar 190 speedo not working

Rluthi

• Baller

We have a 2004 prostar 190 speedo quit but perfect pass speed still works.

Boat does not have pick ups under swim platform.

I think speedo and perfect pass both work off of paddle wheel. Is the gauge the culprit?

And there appears to be no easy way to take gauge out.

Any help is appreciated.

• Baller

@Rluthi

If the PP is slalom edition, then it runs off RPM. So the speedo can fail and it will/should hold the set speed.

Actually, this past weekend, I ran over a rope that was in our course. PP was set to 34mph. The speedo immediately dropped to 30 due to it wrapping around the prop (discovered later), but RPM's remained the same at 3400. That tells me my slalom edition PP works off RPM.

I would be looking at your paddlewheel.

• Baller

Sort of - PP only directly gets speed from either paddlewheels or GPS - slalom mode in pre-stargazer systems is RPM only and ignores speedo input. But uses it on trick mode.

Put the boat on the lift and check for pick ups - should only have one paddlewheel but sometimes people will install a second one for perfect pass.

If only a single paddlewheel it is obviously working and the wiring to the PP is OK - so then the gauge is your last thing to check. 2004 should be post MMDC but I'd have to double check on that.

Paddlewheels are easy to test with a voltmeter, you just read the wires and turn the paddle and watch the voltage go on / off. But since its obviously working for the PP (unless you have stargazer)

Then save yourself the wiring head ache - GPS gauge is 2 wires - power and ground. You'll only use it for rough speed approximation anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Marpac-60-MPH-GPS-Speedometer-F33830-Black-Face-With-Blue-and-Water-Graphics-MD/1439454708?iid=372055581309&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47507%26meid%3Dc6773b04583e40e08e26cd0fef0820c4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D253140367492&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• Baller

The paddlewheel failed on my 04 MC. It wasn't just the wheel as that was the first thing we replaced. Honestly, I'm not sure I ever looked at the speedometer during the process so I don't know if there's a connection. The engine blew up before we solved the problem. It's getting a ZO engine as a replacement. Keep us posted so I can make sure the speedo works.

My 2011 MC speedo gave no readout when the GPS pucks went offline. Kind of irritating. But it forced us to reset the pucks and that solved all the problems.

Eric

• Baller
Gauge usually is connected by a U shaped aluminum and nuts behind the dash - if your boat has an open bow sometimes you can get behind stuff by removing the seats but usually the whole gauge cluster has screws that you pull and it comes out with all the gauges then you work on it upside down.