Mapple T3 Review

markn

• Baller

Have been on a Mapple T1 for three years and have been reluctant to go to a new ski. Tried several other high end skis and always found my trusty T1 to still work best for me. But after 3 years and a ton of passes, figured a change might be in order. I am 6' 2", weigh 185 lbs and ski at 34 mph.

The new 67" T3 arrived yesterday and I checked all settings: binder: 29.5, DFT: .77, Depth: 2.483, Length: 6.820, wing 9 degrees. (The stock settings on the web site were Depth: 2.49, Length: 6.83) so I was pretty darn close to stock settings.

Again, I have never been on a T3 and this was my FIRST set. Opened at 28 off. The ski felt very lively and seemed to ride higher in the water. Pulled out for the gates and the ski seemed to hunt for an edge in the glide. (after a few passes, no longer an issue). Due to being a new ride, took the turns easy and worked behind the boat. The ski was exceptionally fast out of the turn and generated a ton of speed when one applied lean. Second pass (again 28) had more confidence as the ski felt solid and very predictable. Shorted to 32 and noticed speed was maintained through the turn making cross-course speed easier to maintain and/or generate. Shorted to 35 off and then it got REALLY fun. The ski responds to skier input very predictably and the more you "direct" the ski, the more it responds....but again, predictably. The onside turn was absolutely amazing and created tons of space going to the off-side. Ran another 35 and then shorted to 38. Again, this is my first set on this ski. Ran back-to-back 38's on this rocket ship! Noticed on the off-side, if you turn the ski hard, the tip remains down, generates a ton of angle, but does not lose speed. Think this may be one of the best aspects of the ski....quick, fast turns that maintain speed making it easier to get to the other side early. The ski did require less effort than my T1.

In summary: VERY fast, predictable ski with exceptional on-side turn, generates a ton of angle while maintaining speed. On factory settings, the ski is awesome. I may do some minor tweaking, but not much is needed. Wish I would not have waited so long to get on one. This thing rips. MWN

• Baller

Second day on the new Mapple T3. Ok, full disclosure: my site, my driver (wife) who is darn good and I get lucky and run 39 maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Nothing has changed except I went from my 3.5 year old Mapple T1 to the Mapple T3. First try down the line:

32, 35, 38, 39, 2 @ 41. (run 39 first try on a new ski? Really??) I was actually shocked. We checked the rope twice. ZO time: 16:95. Got excited and tried another 39....only .5. Then 3 @ 39 tail, then ran another 39 head. One BIG difference is the angle and outbound direction through the gates and into one ball. Not certain if it is the ski and difference in the set up, but there is TONS more room going to one ball due to better angle and speed maintained through the gates and in the pre-turn (Again, this is day 2, so it is ALL ski, not me!).

This ski, at least for me, is nothing short of phenomenal. No ski (even when the GOAT set up my previous Mapple skis) has EVER made such a dramatic improvement in my buoy count and skiing. #AM FOREVER!!! (My wife told me to buy another one for a back-up she is so impressed!) MWN