bindings for people with FAT feet

beerleagueskier

All,

I'm new to the sport. Got a used HO A3 and new Animal bindings size 10/11. I have wide feet and these bindings are killing me, like throbbing pulsations and total lack of circulation in the feets. This is the same thing with my older HO water ski that has HO bindings. The wraps are really tight and not only on the sides where my foot is wide, but also at the top of my feet where it actually caused a little bruising.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do here? I understand that being in a water ski binding may not be the most comfortable thing for your feet but I can assure you that this is complete discomfort . I know they "break in" a little but I already have an older broken in HO ski that I have pretty much the same discomfort in.

I've had some people tell me to put my feet in the boots in a tub of hot water.....I really don't think that's going to stretch them enough. Plus I don't want to try to stretch these things out and not be able to resell them. They are brand new with one set on them and I'd like to recoup as much of the cost as possible.

Another person mentioned that I move to a hard shell and get it molded to my foot.This interested me because I had to do this with all of my snow alpine ski boots. However, another person said that hard shells are very unforgiving and might not be a good choice for a beginner....Is this a good choice? If so, where can I get hard shells molded?

This noob with fat feet needs some help! Thanks!

Kevin.

• Baller
Is there any adjustment in wide. I never tried it but there was multiple holes in the plate on my old D3 T-factors that looked like you could adjust them. The Reflex super shells have a lot of value and I was told the HO hard shell boot is roomy too. With the heat mold liners My supershells are really comfortable.

• Baller
The releasable bindings like MOB, Reflex, HO, newest Goode. They take some getting used to but theoretically they are safer if adjusted properly. They do take some maintenance of Check them and spraying some lubricant on them from time to time. What level is your sking right now. What's your goals?

• Baller
@gsm_peter a hard shell could be stretched by an alpine boot fitting shop just like a snow ski boot can be stretched. I haven't done it personally but I have worked on a lot of ski boots and the water ski boots will be easier to stretch than a ski boot.

Greg, my initial goal is to overcome my hate for slalom skiing by making a full pass -15 @ 30mph. And then progress from there. My level is beginner, I'm fresh fish.

I really know jack about slalom skiing and the equipment, hence the reason why I have to return these brand new bindings. So far what I've gathered from everyone's comments:

1. Return the HO animals, terrible binding for fat feet. Why did you buy these in the first place.

2. Radar Vectors XL- looks to be much more roomy and forgiving for wide feet based on top lacing and fabric wrapping. This is the best choice?

3. The hardshells by MOB, Reflex, HO, newest Goode - Figure out how to get around the buoys first, and maybe you can graduate to these.

Thoughts? Thanks all!

Kevin

The A3 works fine. I can't blame all of my equipment!

It looks like Miami Nautique is going to work with me on the return with is nice. For course skiing they did recommend the Wiley CBOs saying they were a looser fit, and I'll save some $. Still sketches me out being that they are a rubber boot and I've had so many problems with rubber. The other option is the Vectors which I was originally attracted to for their fabric construction and top laces, but I'd have to cough up another $77.

Chef23 and others,,,between the Wileys and Vectors? "If I were you...."

thanks....

• Baller
I used to make make animals wider by putting spacers between the rubber and foot bed on the sides. You had to start with a large enough binding so it would not get too tight, squeezing your foot down on the ski as you stretched the toe piece rubber wider.

• Baller

@beerleagueskier oh, the A3… what a stick!!!

I got a FM E-Series for my dad, who has fat feet (and extra fat in general :D ) and he loves it. One of the things he did was to separate the bungee cord in two (two clips) and loosely ties the one closer to his toes.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

@Luzz I am considering the FM E-Series is he happy with them ? In your opinion are they high enough performance for a course skier ? I like the hard shell AND the simplicity of the release. I live and ski in Atlantic Canada with brackish water, release mechanism's do not do well in this environment.

• Baller

@Glydon I have been using the E-Series for over 5 years now, and I would argue they are much better than a lot of other bindings that "look more performing". What I love about them is that the release system does not interfere with me being in touch with the ski. That is, the release system does not depend on the shell moving around my ski.

I also agree that the release system is extremely simple, and to me it is straightforwardly the best solution if you use a kicker or r-style in the back.

What I would recommend is to purchase an extra cuff, as I noticed that after a few releases (15-20), the binding may start pre-releasing a bit. However, this is not as dangerous of a pre-release as spring-based systems as you are still on the ski with your foot following the line of the ski.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
I have size 10.5 feet but they are very wide. I used to use xxl animals just for width and would still get sore feet. I now have reflex hardshells and have never looked back. Zero issues with comfort. Just took a few sets to get used to them