2018 Lithium Vapor vs. 2017 Lithium Vapor

ryans1418

• Baller
@ryans1418 I really really liked my 17 its an awesome ski. The 18 is an all new shape, I feel it creates more space, more stable, and it finishes the turn with more speed. It also stays a lot more level through the course, and no matter where you turn on the ski it just wants to keep moving. It also rolls up on edge a lot easier and quicker, with less skier effort. Definitely go try one you won't be disappointed.

• Baller

I ran a '16 thru the '16 season. Nice ski, though not my favorite. I'm still on it until I find something I like more. Ran well on it...thru 38/34 but not consistently, ran a cold off the doc 35 on it (never tried that before), ran 35/36 on it (strangely...I LOVE the ski at 36 mph--like it just came alive at 36).

At 34 it was must more work than I like to get across and get cast to wide, particularly into 1,3,5 for me. Some fin/wing/binding adjusts helped. I run a lot of wing on it...more so than other skis running 10 to help it slow down.

I'm a skier that moves around a bit, I find the sweet spot to be a little small for me. Sometimes I stop it on the offside right at the ball and am left wondering what happened as I sink into the water all seemed fine.

I thought perhaps since I love it at 36 a bigger size for 34 would give me a quicker/lesss load shot across course and a bigger sweet spot...ordered a '68 Probuild and promptly broke my leg so I can't really comment on it.

• Baller
@6balls I'm running the 16 Lithium with 8 degrees on the wing. When I try more I can't get on the front of the ski coming into the turn and end up with long drawn out turns. At 9 degrees the ski bites overturns if I get on the tip. At 10 degrees the ski is shutting down and I'm having problems getting out to the ball.

• Baller

@gregy pick up and read "fin whispering". Lots cheaper than a new ski. Wing ain't the only thing if other parameters are off (bindings/fin). In over-simplified terms you will see that wing is a drag device...hot into the ball with everything else ok try a little more wing. It affects other things, too, but that is the most pronounced purpose.

A quick wing adjust is a decent thing to try due to quick adjust and measurement...but it's not going to fix much other than if you feel hot into the ball you can add some.

Your binding placement/fin/wing will have much more to do with rate of roll, tip bite, smear etc. I can't express how much I learned with reading Fin Whispering only to torch my leg early in the season after studying it all winter--some bad luck there. Wish I had read it years ago.

• Baller

If a ski feels great at 36 but so so at 34, I would think that is a fin/binding thing..

When you go 36, the ski is flatter on the water, probably engaging the tip more.

My thought would be to make adjustments that will create the same conditions at 34.

• Baller
I was on the 17 Lithium, now on the 18 Pro Build. A lot of what Cole said, but the 18 took me a lot more setup time. The 17 was automatic, you either liked the short deep or the long shallow. Now, obviously that wasn’t the case for everyone, but it was for me. I’m happy with my skiing, very happy, but I’m still messing with my fin. Get on one with someone who can help set it up

• Baller

@balls I'm 170lb on a 67". I tried some different settings when I got it. I ended up about 1/4" forward with front boot of the original stock settings. I ran right up to my PB first day but consistency was not there. It was randomly dumping me in the turns just about the time I was getting really frustrated people here were talking about going way forward with the boots. It's working pretty good as is. I was getting slack at one ball. I tried adding wing but the problem was with me not the skI. I tried a 17 Probuild that Brooks setup. He had the boots slightly forward of what I had on the 16. It felt really different. When you set in at the start of the pull the Probuild had a feel of locking in like it was on rails. After a few passes I started getting used to it. I'm definitely a fan of Fin Whisperer, it sets next to my bed.

I'd be interested in comparisons of 18 Lithium vs 18" Probuild. Lot of good skis out there right now. Wish I could find time to try more.