Cervical Fusion .... Recovery time?

sodbuster88

• Baller

I'm a doc myself, had a two level fusion a few years back in June and missed a season in MN. I missed only 2 weeks of work and got back in the gym as allowed.

Do what the docs tell you...no reason to risk bigger things. Push it if you want to at your risk(I wanted to but those around me refused to give me a pull--I know how you feel missing out).

• Baller

I'm in the "c 4-5-6" club too. Let it heal up and you should be good to go.

Take care of those remaining disks. I use an inversion table and also occasionally a Saunders Cervical traction device.

This brings up the question of fusion vs. artificial joint/disc.

Some people (like CP and my former boss)) have had the titanium joint "installed". At the time of my last surgery 2012, it was not an option, or at least not a viable one. At the time it appeared to be new on the scene and was not readily accepted (in my area at least).

@6balls - What is your knowledge of the different scenarios or options? IMO, the artificial disc should be the go-to first option and then fusion as a backup solution.

@sodbuster88 - Was the artificial joint an option for you?

• Baller
I had it done back in 2012 around the first of July and was cleared to ski in early October later that year. Three of my ski buddies have since had the surgery in the October/November time frame, and were cleared to ski by the first of May. I'm beginning to think skiing might have something to do with need for the surgery in the first place... :)

• Baller

@booze I'm not sure the jury is "in" so far on artificial discs...it certainly has not become widespread standard of care yet. It's been a long time coming...I worked in a research lab in the early to mid 90's and at that time we were working on artificial discs among other things.

Adjacent segment disease can be a little tough to study as well. In my neck for example, my adjacent segments suck already. Will they fail down the line due to my fusion or were they going to fail anyway.

I hope artificial discs prove good enough in long-term results to become the standard of care and improve adjacent segment disease...but only if they do prove good enough. Even if they do...it may still be a case by case kind of thing whereas for one patient option "a" is better and for another option "b".

Keep in mind I'm no neurosurgeon...just a family doc with a fusion in his neck. I refer a lot of patients to neurosurgeons of high quality, though, and I don't see the industry using artificial discs as standard of care just yet if my referred patients are any example.

Symptoms include pain in both shoulders and upper arms, numbness, tingling and dead spots in thumbs and forearms. MRI shows no foraminal openings between c5 & c6...on either side, which is driving severe impingement to those nerve roots. Good news is no rupture to the disc, but it’s compressed to the point of slight impingement on the cord. 6 weeks PT didn’t touch it....not even sure why Dr wanted me to go through PT. Anyway, it’s time to get it fixed.

• Baller
Mine is similar to the above, however there is no plate. I have artificial discs, but my own bone “shavings” were used to somehow pack in there. The shavings were recovered from drilling holes in my vertebrae to install essentially lag screws as the fusing mechanism between the vertebrae. That’s how I remember it anyway.

• Baller

@sodbuster88 - evidently that is just another approach or method to achieving the same end. The local surgeon where I live uses what you posted. I went with another surgeon in Bham that uses a "cage" or polymer spacer as you put it, but it has metal spikes that attach to the bone. The spikes evidently serve as the stabilizer rather than the plate.

Perhaps there are other factors in the equation when it comes to plate vs no plate?

My symptoms were similar as well. Considerable impingement.

• Baller
I had a 1 level (c7-t1) removed May 30 and Doc released me to ski about the 3rd week of August. Problem was after 12 weeks of weight restrictions and residual nerve issues in my right hand, I didn't have enough strength left to deep water start. I skied 4 times and decided to finish healing and try again next year. My proceedure inserted a "puck" with my own bone material (harvested from my hip) impregnated into it for the graft. All is great now. Fingers are working correctly and numbness is subsiding. Good Luck! Nothing to it.

• Baller

just curious as to whether you "fusion recipients" were all symptomatic?? I'm 51 and recovering from a nasty (road) cycling crash a couple months back. Landed on my head and my ( 20 month old) total replacement shoulder. Fortunately my clavicle sacrificed itself into several pieces (now plated with 12 screws) and spared my shoulder.

MRI shows severe stenosis, etc at C5-C6 with impingement such that no fluid in that area to protect the cord. This likely was a condition that pre-existed the crash.

I'm being told any future accidents/head trauma puts me at considerable risk of cord injury. As I am not symptomatic (no numbness, tingling, etc) neurosurgeons don't seem interested in surgery.

I had a hemi-laminecotmy in November 2019 on the right side of C6/7. It worked but unfortunately the disc slipped out of place late December 2019 and I had no choice but to have a anterior cervical disectomy fusion at the same location in January 2020. I believe i had the best neurosurgeon in the Detroit area and showed him a video of hard-core course skiing and needed some assurances that i could return to competitive skiing which he believes i can. Time will tell. I'm only 5 weeks post-op so it's too early to tell but appreciate everyone's input and stories about their back/spine issues. I'll be 50 this summer but in no way ready to give this up. If anyone has any information or would like to share their experience, I'd love to hear from you. Keep chasing buoys!

• Baller_
Veterinarian's input: given the mobility of the cervical spine, and the life threatening ramifications associated with a cervical spine injury, I would stay off a ski for at least 6 months. My understanding is after a fusion, your other vertebra & discs are doing more work/under more stress to compensate for the lost motion at the fusion (physicians please correct if I am wrong).

I had severe symptoms....pain, numbness in the fingers and some dead patches starting to form in my forearms. Since my c5-c6 disk was thinned way down but not bulging or ruptured, I had impingement at the nerve roots heading out to my extremities. I should have gone in sooner in hind sight. Was told no skiing for a year, but Dr gave me the green light at 6 months. That was just over two years ago with fantastic results...but starting to feel some discomfort developing again. I think lower..maybe c6-c7. I was told by my neurosurgeon that a fusion would divert more stress and movement to the other joints. We’ll see what happens in the next couple months.

• Baller

I cannot say enough about the benefits of an inversion table. I bought mine in 1993 and use it religiously on a daily basis.

Even with fused vertebra I have more flexibility than most people due to the healthy spacing created from inversion which also reduces the stress on the neighboring joints if you do require fusion.

It just made sense to me to decompress after learning of the damage I had done to my back from moto-cross and skiing. My back is now healthier @ age 60 than it was when I was 25.

• Baller

@BigGerald3, screw was loose, not broken. The image shows the other screw, so it appears longer and at an angle. All went out, I have now the plate and screws in a box.

The retention system failed. Good thing is that I do not have any non-needed metal in my neck...

If anyone believe ski hardware is expensive, they should see the price tag of each of these screws.

j6fcfwva7sz7.jpeg