This is your fuel filter after 200 hrs

Jmoski

• Baller

Good thing I changed it. What does everyone else use to grease the o-rings? I couldn’t find a “fuel resistant grease” as the instructions state to use. I went Vaseline given it was the most common answer I could find on discussion threads.

aadozqwcks4j.jpeg

• Baller

@oldjeep - I checked several local auto parts stores - they only had fuel resistant thread sealant for metal. Nothing labeled fuel resistant for rubber o-rings?

Fuel I get just comes from local gas stations. Possible the filter was never changed, I bought it with a 105 hours on it from the original owner. Dealer supposedly did the proper maintenance.

• Baller

Aircraft Spruce carries EC4 silicone grease. It's specified for lubricating rubber gaskets on airplanes (but designed as an electrical grease). I'd use it there. Most silicone greases should also work.

Vaseline might be too fuel soluble to last. Good for installation but it might stick on the next disassembly.

But that filter looks fine. Were you having problems or is it just routine replacement? The pleats aren't filled with crud (like when I see contamination problems) or water. Maybe a bit of discoloration but who cares about the color? Do you use additives?

Eric

• Baller
Manufacturers almost always recommend X hours/miles or X months, whichever comes first. For the reasonable man test, I say base it on the amount of fuel that went through it, so hours. I still don't understand the discoloration though.

• Baller

Thanks for the responses, to answer the questions:

- no issues, just routine change out

- yes I always run Stabil marine fuel stabilizer (its dark green) - maybe the source of the discoloration

- Traditionally I go by hours, on my old nautique I had changed it at 100 hr intervals and it seemed in good shape (no green stabil then)

- I’ll switch it again next season to see what it looks like and use the proper o-ring grease.