Coaching/help

customski

• Baller

In honesty I think the problems he's having there (where is there by the way? speed?) would be easier to diagnose if we could see video of an earlier pass that he can run so we could get a sense of his usual rhythm.

With that

I'd start by looking at the gate glide

- arms are up and the handle is separated

- doesn't look high enough on the boat

- little back foot heavy

All three of those are related, before he pulls out he should make sure he feels himself connected to then handle, be applying some down force on it, and maintain that pressure through the entire pull out and keep tension on the line in the glide. That should help get him higher on the boat, should keep the arms down and handle connected, and if you're lucky it will pull him on top of his bindings.

There are things that happen after the gate but you'd be surprised how many other little things go away when you get your gate right so I'm going to hold off on anything past the oranges for now.

• Baller
@RazorRoss3 hit the keys. It starts with the gate he needs to be higher on the boat and work harder into the first wake to generate enough speed to get him out to 1 ball in better shape. Getting a better start is going to make everything easier.

• Baller

@RazorRoss3 makes some good points.

@Customski do you Know how to use calipers?

It looks to me like he has a lot of good things going on with the gate, but is fighting his ski setup a bit. Fin looks too big and a little too far back. It's holding the nose up a long time after apex and slow to roll over and accelerate. Very slow to roll over into 2 ball preturn- similar issue on the gate.

Could possibly move boots forward, but the ski is already very "flat" in pitch off the second wake, and I don't think forward would be better.

Objective is to reduce the YAW and Roll stability into and through the turn such that the rate of the turn increases and can finish within a tighter radius. Right now it's "over stable" and running a longer radius.

I would start with leaving the fin length the same, and bumping the fin forward 10/1000s and also shallower 10/1000s. If after that he is still struggling for "space" before 2 ball, pull out 10/1000ths of length. Keep wing angle the same for now, which I'm guessing is either 7/8 degrees?

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell thanks for the fin tips. The wing is 8 degrees currently and all i have ever done is adjust for a little more tip bite from standard settings about 12 months ago.

I have a c65 so my caliper work has come into play a lot more over the last few months

@RazorRoss3 we are in Western Australia at Bonneys ski park.

• Administrators

He needs to be taller. Legs stronger and straighter. Chin farther from feet.

It sounds like an oversimplification but that comment gets lot of skiers centered and stacked.

• Baller
@customski in the top video, he also gives up and doesn't ski towards 3 ball/1st white water. gate is also narrow causing him to to 1 ball instead out and by 1 ball=tip rise. work on the gate!! up on the boat w more speed and allow the ski to cast out to 1 ball.