Custom Wood Ski

ThisCanadianRips

Hello,

I am changing an old wood ski to a more modern HO Omni shape with vMax bindings. Every bottom surface, rocker, bevels need to be accurate. I am finding very few measurements online. Concave radius at several points? General width at several points? This may be a flunk experiment, but I'd like to prevent that. Thanks.

• Administrators

You are not going to find detailed dimensions published on the internet. You would have to get a ski and run it through a 3D scanner.

• Baller
Just look for an old Keller Milling Machine. If you can't find one of those (and you won't), your next best option is cutting cross sectional templates every 1-2" down the length of the ski you want to copy. Then hand work your wood ski until the templates match.

• Baller
Ha. Yes--HO is not going to tell you the measurements of their latest design... Ski shape is perhaps the most important factor in ski performance. Thus all the Ski Companies have their own shapes that they are always trying to enhance.

• Baller
if you can get your hands on the actual ski you want to duplicate you could probably do a pretty good job of imitating the base contour. just buy yourself a contour gage and use it to make plywood silhouettes for every inch down the length of the ski. connect all your silhouettes in line on a large board and use that to check and re check your work as you progressively sculpt the bottom of the wood ski.

• Baller
I'm afraid that even if you were able to completely copy the shape of a modern ski, it will likely be disappointing. the shape interact with the flex characteristics of the material the ski is built with. you jus won't get close with wood.