Hey Goode Power Vest Users

wart

• Baller

I’m considering purchasing a Goode Power Vest.

One question for those with experience.

The question is about getting up on the water.

With a regular vest on I think most of us, either with two feet in or one foot out, start with our front knee as close to our chest as possible, with our arms straight, and the handle near the ski in front of the front binding. As the boat goes, we keep our weight on the front of the ski and plane as quickly/easily as possible.

This start position, arms out, weight forward, seems the opposite of what the Power Vest is designed for. That is during acceleration, ball to ball, arms pinned to the Vest, with the pull going through the hands, arms, and around the shoulders.

So, here’s the question. When getting up on the water with a Power Vest, is it just like with a regular vest?

I’m asking because it seems like the straps would pull the Vest up, like the Vest was going to pull over your head... like when you take off a shirt.

If this is true, then do you lean back on the Vest and let the Vest do the work? If yes, it seems like this would put a lot of stress on your knee because you would have to push the ski out in front of you and plow a lot more water until the ski planed up?

FWIW, I’m considering the Power Vest to take stress off my body in the course. But I don’t what to trade off with added stress getting on the water.

Thanks for your wisdom.

• Administrators

@wart

If no one warned you, the first time you got up with a Powervest would likely be bad. Just being aware that it is different is usually enough.

The pull is from your shoulders and is awkward if you are not ready for it. After a ride or two it is no big deal and the vest will for sure take a lot of stress of your body.

Your assumptions are a bit exaggerated. Without the vest most of us get the pull lower but with the vest the pull is really at your shoulder. Don't worry about it. It is a really good product.

• Supporting Member

What @Horton said.

I reckon the sensation would be.....if you are getting up from a couch, instead of moving or rocking your head/weight forward first, you push/rest your shoulders back first.

Imagine helping Grandma off the couch. She puts her arms up, rolls her shoulders, moves head over knees and you grab under arms and stand her up. Now, imagine her in a straight jacket with a rope/handle at the belly button. You just grab the handle and pull her up standing. She is looking at you the whole time, back straight.

I have felt/done your "plowing" comment. A regular vest/skier can duplicate the same.

It's a little different, but their is less stress in getting out.

At 6'4" 240, average strength (below ave. for a water skier) the only way I could consider multiple sets in a day or lessons would be with the Power Vest.

• Baller

Sit back and let the vest do the work. Starts are a lot less work once you adapt.

I did struggle to get up with double boots and a Goode vest after my hip replacement. It loads the skeleton a lot and requires a lot of range of motion - which I didn't have early on. I'm now getting up one footed with the vest with no problem. It is a bit more work than double boots and the Goode vest.

The vest is good at protecting my back and shoulders. Perhaps it's the injuries requiring the vest or the vest itself but my buoy count is down.

Good luck.

Eric

I don't recommend it for jump!!!

• Baller

Used one years ago when I had severe back problems. Would not have been able to ski without it at the time. One thing that is essential and makes a huge difference is to Heat Mold the back plate to fit you. Really, Really, makes a HUGE difference in comfort and performance.

• Baller

I've had mine for a couple of years now and love it. I wear it in the course and free skiing.

Deep water starts took a little while to get down, but it's an adjustment, not a major technique change. As others stated, "let the vest do the work".

I have the straps adjusted so only at full arm reach do they just engage. I find this works as it allows me to use mostly my arms to get up, but once I'm skiing, the vest does a lot of the work.

As a chronic lower back pain sufferer, I applaud Dave on this design. And, I should add, great support from them. One of my gloves broke last season, at the d-ring, and I received a new pair over-nite. Good people, great product, IMHO.

• Baller

Orthopedic doc and long time Power Vest user: love product M8 28-32 off skier. For sure will cure upper extremity "over use" issues at elbows, hands, shoulders, while off loading the back. Once you ski with it a bit I don't see the downside other than being careful about the loads you can generate -- and it is bit heavy.

Several comments for those exploring and who have questions about deep water starts in particular:

1. Deep water starts were very challenging for me (lots of high stress ploughing) for long time until I discovered a few things....

2. Driver throttle progression is key for me - needs to be kinda "get it over with quickly" medium to hard "progressive" up. Throttle too soft makes for painful long "fight the boat ploughing" ---- and a really hard throttle will try to break the vest / straps / gloves / D rings connections / or your body.

3. When straps are "just right" for distributing the load (to hips/CG) when stacked skiing) - you will find that just as Goode suggests - that while standing (upright on ground) that the straps go tight just when you extend the wrist (with arms at side).

4. With this strap length (for me) I can not (in deep water starting position) get my hands in front of my feet or on the ski (where I might like to have them for deep water starting without the vest) -- rather with the p-vest my hands reach just to top of (or just in front of) the knees. (This is what made starts problematic for me) .... But with hands on knees and in as much of a sitting position as possible - just progress quickly from "in gear" to "go boat" and then (and this is key for me) try to rock forward with tug of the boat as if to put tip of ski underwater (it won't go underwater) -- AND at same time feel buttocks sit on / touch the tail of ski ...

5. For me focusing on these simple things-- I went from breaking the plate (more than one) and torturing my body - to effortless ups.

Couple of other things:

1. I modified the "strap" and the eyelets on the vest to make the slide of the strap with reaching virtually frictionless .. I can say more about this if there is interest.

2. I added a "clip' to one glove attachment at the D ring to make for easy disconnect and ease in swimming and getting into boat etc.

3. Goode has recently made the jacket considerably more durable - much appreciated !

4. I love the clincher gloves -- but like all gloves limited life expectancy.

• Baller

Hello fellow PV users. Still going strong with PV course skiing daily! For those interested in my thoughts about the Vest - please see my ridiculously long post (with pictures of mods) at https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/230760.

Happy to discuss directly with anyone interested. For me (as orthopedic surgeon) - its like windsurfing without a harness: you can do it - but who would ever want to do that:).

• Like 1