Moomba Webcast poll

Horton

• Baller
They cut to an ad right as Sedomajer was entering the course after a few warmup passes. Cutting to ads while skier was in water and back to skier as they entered the course was distracting. I turned it off.

• Baller_
Id rather see an add strip streaming across the bottom of the live feed vs constant cutting to the same adds. Almost counter productive as there are several products (some even water ski related) that would frustrate me to purchase as it would just be a reminder of the constant interruptions.

• Supporting Member

I only had mild connection issues, but the nearly constant ads covering 100% of the screen were unwatchable. And I mean that literally: I closed it and stopped watching it.

I appreciate the need to profit from the broadcast, but this particular try swung much too far: If you show almost nothing but ads, then nobody will watch and the advertisers aren't getting anything out of it.

• Baller_

There is a group of boat racers on the west coast that web-cast their events from time to time. Keep in mind these are small inboard circle racers that race in confined areas such as long beach, Parker and a few other venues. They utilize YouTube for their webcast and the broadcasts are flawless. I know that the sponsors that pay for the waterski webcasts pay a very handsome sum for the service and in many times not getting what they pay for.

The moomba is an extraordinary event with ever changing challenging conditions set up in front of spectators that can number in excess of 50,000 at any given time. The hard work that goes into this event is beyond belief. Finals are this evening hopefully everything comes together and we get to watch an exciting finals to one of our sports biggest event.

• Baller
At first, it didn't work at all. Later in the evening it started working smoothly, but the continuous commercials were so annoying, I just shut it down. I mean, seriously - there were a couple hundered viewers, and they're going to pound us into the ground with commercials? Even network TV limits commercials to 20 minutes per hour or so.

• Baller

The connection struggled the first day and kept freezing. But fine after that.

But the commercials are so constant that I just gave up watching. There were some amazing moments that they could have replayed and really captured the audience but they seemed to miss that opportunity. Did seem to work better on my iPad through the upstream app than my computer .

• Baller

such a great event and such poor coverage. id rather just watch a youtube shot from the announcers booth and posted an hour after the event.

those repetitive ads were so damn annoying when i could watch. right a benny cut out for his 41 gate..... boom ad. f-u.

• Baller

Used desktop with Firefox for ALL of the finals, only had to refresh 3-4 times.

I can’t believe that the announcer said Nate had “guaranteed” himself 1st place before Benjamin had skied. That’s just down right disrespectful!

• Baller

I watched Saturday using Firefox and a rural internet connection. Everything was spotty and the ads were a bit annoying. For the finals, I was back home using a good high speed internet connection and Chrome with an ad-blocker plugin - NO ads whatsoever and the connection was fairly stable with only 3 or 4 refreshes.

To get technical, alot of their issues come from the Ustream service only offering a single bitrate stream at a fairly high bitrate. Made for great picture quality when it came in, but made drop outs and buffering more likely.