CC 200 Loose Steering

Creeker

On our CC 200, with ~700 hours on it, there is some play in the steering wheel (i.e., the wheel can be turned, maybe 5 Degrees and rudder does not turn. The play seems to be related to the rack that mates up with the gear at the end of the steering wheel shaft.

I've not found a lot of info on this issue.

Can one buy a new rack from DIM, or just from correct craft?

Does one need to by just the cable and it comes with the rack?

Does one need to grease the new cable with something like the red mobile one synthetic grease?

Has anyone done a similar repair?

Any other tips?

Thx

• Baller

Have you greased the rudder lately? That is usually the first step you take before tearing into other problems. The steering will feel sloppy if your low on grease. Zirc is usually

mounted on Port side of boat near rear access cover. It mounted on a cross beam. I have my 200 serviced once a year in spring and usually have to add a little grease in the fall.

• Baller_

I think the tilt helm - between the steering wheel and where the steering cable attaches - is the same from 1998 thru current year. You can get replacement at nautiqueparts.com

The helm can wear out or break, but is more likely some of the parts simply loosened up and is the cause of your slop. It can be a little tricky to dissemble and determine exactly what should move and what shouldn’t but is manageable. Also check that the rack part of the steering cable is firmly bolted to the helm.

The steering cable isn’t meant to have additional lubrication but they do wear out. 700 hrs is a pretty typical life span before replacing.

By all means keep the rudder port greased and check movement on that end while you are at it.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

If its a cable issue you'd expect most all of the wear to be in one small area, if you say go a turn to the left then check you'd expect less play in that area.

Not sure if this applies to your specific helm but most have a tube that sticks out of the helm for the steering cable to exit into, if you pop that back a few inches and rock the steering, play in the helm won't move the cable, if the cable moves w/ the helm you have play at the other end.

In regards to greasing the cable, it really only moves back and forth in its tube ~6-10 inches, so any grease you put at the ends just moves back and forth inside those areas, you'd have to pull the cable out of your boat, pull the cable out of the sleeve, grease the sucker and fish it back in to meaningful lubricate it. After all that work a new one is usually less than 2 bills.

Thx for the help.

Think I am going to replace the cable and helm tilt assembly as they are both a wear item.

Those two parts are going cost a few $, but that just part of the fun of owning a boat.

On the new cable, should I first take the cable out of the sheath out and add extra grease (like Mobile One red synthetic grease)?

• Baller_

Last summer I had a customer with A 200 that had double the hours at around 1400. Poor steering lots of slop yet cable was seemingly free. long story short.. I found the port and rudder had worn into an egg shape. the rudder port Bore was out of round and oblong the rudder showed signs excessive wear and run-out of the rudder shaft was very inconsistent when I checked it with a caliper. The fix for this boat was a new rudder port a new rudder and cable.

When checking steering slop also take a look at the condition of the steering helm assy. Especially on higher hour boats. the mesh between the tilt assy and the rack can become loose and will cause uneven wear on the little ball joint. Also the bushings can wear in the tilt unit. These helm parts can be rebuilt to some degree but not worth the effort.

Another source of steering slop can be found in the mesh of the rack and pinion assy. in the early day's of this system a set of spacer washers were used between the attachment flanges. With the 'Extreme' cable these washers became unnecessary yet some would reinstall these washers when they replaced their cable, this causes to much distance between the gear mesh of the rack and pinion assy and in a short time afterward excessive slop.

Hope this helps