Handle Width ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

I have always used a 12" x 1" diameter handle, mainly because going back a number of years, when competing, the organisers did not allow you to use your own handle, but what you were given was a 12" x 1" Handle to ski with, now I have a fairly big chest and I have got to thinking, would a 13" handle help keep my chest up more, I know it is only 1" and I know Andy Mapple used to ski with a 10" or there abouts.

So thinking smaller handle more chance of hands arriving in the same place, or wider handle to give wider stance regards shoulders and Arms.

Is it worth thinking about or am I blowing in the wind ?

• Baller

I like a 13" handle because of 2 reasons. When in my load through the wakes, I like one hand on the trailing side of my hip/thigh and one on the leading side. A wider handle makes this more doable when your hands are spaced.

I also think more length makes it less likely that you will miss grip.

SAFETY. The thing I don't like about a 13 inch handle is that most will more easily fit over your head. Handle guards are a must. As someone who had a severe arm injury, I will tell you that getting caught in the handle can easily happen.

Better an arm than a head. I recommended to the rules committee for it be a rule that a skiers handle not be able to fit over their head. The "genius" response from the risk managers was that this would give awsa more liability exposure...Ah the end of common sense.

• Baller_
You are on the right track. A lot of folks believe that a 13 makes it easier for someone with a big chest to get their chest up between the elbows. Diameter is a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong, though some believe a wider diameter is easier on the elbows. I wear a 43 long suit coat and ski with a .970 12. No one accuses me of skiing well.

Lpskier

• Baller
I ski with a 13" mostly because when I started skiing again the guy I skied with used a 13" handle. There are different schools of thought and I am not sure either of them are wrong I think it is a comfort thing.

• Baller

I'm 6'5" and wear a 46L jacket and if I use a 12" handle, I miss grips with my right index finger all the time. It'll end up outside the bridle on my heelside hookup, which is no fun for the next toeside turn.

I love the 13" handles for that reason. I'd use a 14" if someone made one.