New Ski Advice

maralake74

Looking for some advice. I'm currently on a 2013 66" radar strada, but I think this may be too much ski for me and maybe holding me back a bit. I'm 5'9", weight approx. 155 lbs. to 165 lbs. during ski season and ski 15 off. The fastest speed I've skied where I've gotten all 6 balls is 32.4mph. I'd like to get to a point where I get all 6 consistently at 33 to 34mph. Am I going to benefit from going to a Senate Lithium, which appears to be more suited for the speed I ski at? Also, given my weight, and assuming you think the Senate is the way to go, would you recommend the 65" or 67"?

Thanks

Senate rocks. You will be fine on any Senate, but the Lithium is the best of the bunch (carbon/PVC only like most of the high end skis). If you're skiing that fast now and want to ski 34mph consistently soon, I chink you could get away with the 65". That's what I would do at your size and speed. If you were just learning to ski the course at 26 or 28, I'd probably say the 67, but at the higher speeds I think the extra length will hurt performance when turning.

Thanks @BraceMaker . Already go to sunset ranch once a year for 4 days. Just wondering if I can expect that extra bit of ski surface to help given the slower speeds I ski at or whether the difference will be negligible and not worth it.

On top of the 10 sets at sunset, I probably ski an additional 30 to 35 sets per year. Given the distance to our cabin, I only get to do it a few long weekends and every morning for a 3 week stretch. Not sure if that impacts peoples' advice.

The Strada is, from what I understand, a good ski. If you're comfortable on it, then keep it. If you want a new ski, then get the Senate. My buddy just went from a Strada to a Senate and loves it - says it's way faster (which I assume is from the increased surface area) and has been skiing well on it.

@maralake74, Senate is an awesome 34 mph ski. I have been skiing on a Vapor and had a chance to ski one last week. I have been skiing mid -38s this year and ran 2 @ 39 off the dock on the Senate. I'm considering making it my tourney ski this year.

• Baller

I recommend the senate. I was on a 2014 vice-c very similar to your strada. I also am just like you where my best pass is 32 mph at -15. I find the senate just a lot easier to run at both 30 and 32 mph. I don't really try 34 at all as 32 is still a pretty hard pass for me I know I wouldn't have a chance yet at 34. This is the abridged version. I can give you the long version if you would like, just ask.

Size? That's a tough one. I feel like the 67 is a really good size for me and I range from 175 to 195 and I'm 5'11". Is there not a 66"? shucks.

• Baller
@vtmecheng do you have family near Lake Anna? Schedule a visit 5/19/18. Radar is having a RadarNation demo day at Peace Love & Waterskiing. Then you can test for yourself if height makes a difference at your speed and line length. Email Brooks to reserve a spot.

• Baller

Man I wish but I'll be down there the following weekend with the family for Memorial day weekend. We have a tradition of getting blue crabs and drinking margaritas by the water.

I wouldn't be the best to test that anyway, I'm way too green in the course. Plus, I'm sure someone else here knows enough to say if height matters in ski sizing.