'97 Nautique no fuel

LOTW

• Baller
Suddenly the boat started to cut in and out then died altogether while towing a skier. No fuel coming out of the big fuel filter canister, pump circulates when key is turned on but no fuel. Any tips?

• Baller_
I have seen the pump in that canister fail but still sound like it is running, IIRC there are two pumps in the system and both need to run. Troubleshooting help was to look inside that canister when the engine died to see if there was any fuel in it. The Nautique forum has a good troubleshooting guide to follow.

• Baller_
Have you replaced the kill switch?. If malfunctioning, I believe it will allow the fuel delivery system to run as in you can hear it prime but will not allow fuel to be delivered. The kill switch will fail eventually. I would start there and work through all the simple solutions. I did replace the low pressure pump at one point as well even though I could here it priming. My boat is the same as yours 1997 196.

• Baller
@LOTW The "died while towing a skier" has happened to me several of times over the years with my 1998 SN. Here are three top possibilities that solved my problems: (1) safety kill switch connected to the lanyard the driver is "supposed" to wear (this cuts the fuel off, not the electricity); (2) low pressure fuel pump; and (3) water/fuel filter in the FCC. The safety kill switch will look OK but corrodes inside; this happened last fall. With a bad low pressure fuel pump (two years ago), the boat will usually start when cold but will die when operating temperature is reached (around 160 degrees). All three are easy fixes.

• Baller_
To check kill switch, jam a dime between kill button and the lanyard clip. This will push kill switch button in further to engage it. If the boat runs, replace switch. Cheap and easy fix. You can simply hold the button in as well but harder to check other things or drive at the same time. I believe the kill switch disables the high pressure pump. So you get a second of the boat actually tuning over and starting....but only a second before it dies again.

• Baller
I had this happen to my 1997 196 as well, it was the intake at the bottom of the fuel tank had become clogged. The boat would run fine at 20-22 mph but once it was over 30 mph it would cut out and lose power.

• Baller

Sounds like Bubba, UCLA's unreliable old boat.

Where the fuel line attaches to the low pressure pump there is a screen that can get plugged. Remove the fuel line and squirt some carb cleaner inside the barb. That will clean the screen.

Often the fuel line will flake bits off which get caught at the screen. Sometimes an extra fuel filter right there solves the problem. Sometimes it needs a new fuel pump.

There might be a filter in the tank. Blow backwards at the tank fitting to clear it out.

There might be a check valve at the top of the fuel tank. They fail and block fuel flow.

You do keep your fuel clean and replace filters regularly?

I hate kill switches. If that works, at least it's an easy fix.

UCLA got a new boat to solve their issues.

Eric

• Baller

Same boat/problem.

The 2 wires behind the kill switch can be unplugged and joined together.

There are relays in engine compartment that needed resetting, ultimately the fuel pump relay was popping because of LP pump being bad--it pumped but not enough

• Baller

The two relays on the back of the motor are known to fail as well. I replaced them a few times on my 1997. One of them is for the low pressure fuel pump. I cannot recall what the other is for off the top of my head anymore.

Doesn't sound like your issue, but worth noting.