Pregate question

WBLskier

• Baller

I am adding 55's to a standard portable 6 ball course. We are on a big lake and I am concerned that adding another 330 feet of length to the course will add to some bowing we already get. Does anyone add an anchor in the middle of the course or should I consider adding separate anchors to secure the pregates while leaving the regular end course anchors in place? We have to move the course semi regularly so I don't want to overly complicate removal or installation if I can avoid it.

Or any other good ideas to help keep a semi permanent portable course straight(er) where we get some big cross winds and boat traffic? We normally have to pull it tight every day or so. Maybe we just need better/bigger anchors...

Thanks for any input.

• Baller
We had our bouys go wonkey on out Acufloat so we got 6 plastic jugs and tied them submerged half way out our turn bouy. We filled them 1/4 to half full and it straightened everything out. However, we have already hit one with the prop on a pull up after a fall so beware. Not sure if you'll have this issue but...

• Baller

I added pre-gates to my portable course 5-6 years ago. I went to bigger anchors and reworked the method I use to tension the course.

My course was originally setup where you pulled on an extra line at one end connected to the anchor to tension the course. Essentially you moved that anchor. It's not a very effective way to tension a course, because of the unpredictable way an anchor bites into the bottom after being moved. I changed the way the main line attaches to the diamond at the pre-gate on one end of the course. Instead of simply being connected, the line feeds through a stainless steel ring and then went through an adjustable rope stop. "Rope Stop" is probably not the correct term, but I don't know what it really should be called....

When I take the course out, I let the rope all the way out at the adjustment point at the diamond near the pre-gate. When I put it in, I use the rope at the end of the anchor to setup basic tension and to get the anchor set. Then I go to the adjustment point at the pre-gate to really get the tension set high enough to so the course stays straight. You need a weight on the end of the excess rope at the pre-gate adjustment so the excess rope sinks out of the way. You also need anchors that bite really well into the bottom of your particular lake.