Slack at 1 when I shorten the rope...

Buoyhead69

• Baller
So far I’m extremely happy with the season. After a humbling experience skiing in FL this winter I’m back skiing at 34mph. I’m running -22, a half loop/training loop which amounts to -25, and -28. I’m running -22 and the half loop really smooth with a good gate, good tight line & good stack. But when I shorten it to -28 it takes me several passes to get a decent gate. I’m getting a ton of slack at 1 and I just can’t seem to get confident/comfortable with my turn into the gate. I’ve heard conflicting advice... Should I start the turn in earlier or later than -22? Should I get higher on the boat on the pull out? Is it just a matter of more reps? Anything else I’m missing? This is my second season skiing at 34mph so not a ton of experience here but I want to start running a smooth -28 and slack at 1 ball is killing me.

• Baller

Be higher on the boat when you pull out

It’s about being the right speed at the right time for the turn in

Don’t “hit and glide” for the gate, you want to feel tension the entire way out, and you want light pressure in your hands during the glide. Everything will get better if you can consistently cut the gate from wide with a tight line. As for angle, if you aren’t creating excess load you’re fine. If you turn to hard and load your shoulders that will cause an “unload” as you go to 1 ball

• Baller
@Andre is right. And it’s possible you’re turning for the gate from a narrow position. You’re likely feeling like you need to pull longer because the line is shorter (visual). Try skiing t like your half loop. Don’t be timid.

• Baller_

It's likely that you are skiing right at the ball. That can happen in a few ways, some of which are already mentioned.

My best passes occur when I am at least even with the back of the motor box on the glide and not dropping back in toward the boat before turning in. Standing tall on the ski with the water breaking near the toes of my front foot is a key component. Turning in without turning on the tail and overloading is important. I turn in when the bow of the boat is about 4-5 feet before the gates (bow of boat is even with the gates for 22 off). I don't pull after the second wake. After the wake is the biggest part where it can go wrong. The edge change needs to be early, but the reach cannot be. Staying on the handle a bit longer after the edge change and feeding it out into the turn is better. If I change edge and reach at nearly the same time, I'm dead.

It actually sounds like you are doing well. A few tweaks and you'll probably smooth it right out.

Posting video would help. At least capturing some and looking at it yourself will show what you are doing versus what you think you are doing.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Thanks so much for good thoughts & advice. Skied this AM. Got feedback from a guy who’s a tournament skier & nationals qualifier- I’m “standing up at the ball” which others have told me, also. Late edge change, not keeping back arm pressure. So my next question if I may... I ski a lot of wing, 9 degrees. Would it make sense to take a little wing off? I know, just try it & see... but in theory is this a reasonable idea?

• Baller
Thanks @LeonL, I use that much wing because when I bought my first “real slalom ski” a Quest45 the local guy I bought it from had it set up that way & basically I just got used to it. I got an ARC last year & tried 7 degrees of wing but the ski just felt too fast for me so I went back to 9. Now, however, my stack/body position has improved plus I have my ARC dialed in (bought some calipers, I have it set basically “short and deep”) so maybe 9 degrees keeps me too slow coming into the ball hence late edge change, “standing up at the ball” and too much slack. I’ll use 8 degrees tomorrow...