Cedar Ridge Nautique BigDawg scores?!?!?!?

Horton

• Administrators
Well bishop and Sund put up some not too bad scores but it's still not what we expect from an event like this. Miller and super Greg and a few other characters still to come

• Baller

@JoeSkier6 Any particular comments what the skiers might not like with pull from new SN? It is usually lights out with great scores at the Ridge, and good conditions, but so far today with all of the sweet 16 having skied, no 39s have been run.

What gives?

At my humble line lengths, I felt the new SN skies fine.

But, the short rope these guys ski, must be another story??

• Administrators

@zman as a rope gets shorter our ridiculously specific expectations become more and more apparent. I'm not saying it's a good thing but it is the reality for a lot of more accomplished skiers.

I do think it's obvious that the scores were low this weekend but if you look at some previous events, Pro skiers have put up some excellent scores behind this boat.

• Administrators
@Gloersen I don't believe it the lake 38 Event was exclusively Nautique. Were the Finals all Nautique? Clearly there was some really good scores at the Masters and at lcq and those events were all Nautique.

• Baller

@MillerTime38 that has been the average the past few years.

West Palm - 29

Miss. - 30

Miami - 31

France - 20

Spain - 17

Lt. Mtn. - 35

Finals - 23

Rio Linda - 25

Finals - 37

West Palm - 36

Spain - 23

Maiden - 29

• Baller_
@scotchipman : Any specifics on what is not working with the new boat? It would be interesting if just something in operating it (Micro tuner programming as an example) or an actual boat issue. Hopefully something they can iron out easily, they certainly have a good captive set of testers to gather data from, an engineers w*t dream to get 30 data points in one shot.

• Baller
My personal experience is that the boat does take 3-4 sets to get used to in slalom. Its a good wake but just different, there is something about the timing of the edge change that took a handful of sets to get used to. As a right foot forward skier I would normally start my edge change into 2-4 at the rooster tail but at first with the new SN I found myself not being able to get the feel to do that, I was having to wait until after both wakes to start edge change which caused me to drop my left shoulder and just be too long and strong into 2-4. I actually changed from letter B to C and found that to work better for me as the boat got off me earlier. So I think it just takes a few sets so my guess is this weekend perhaps it was a first set for many behind it, IDK. just my experience with the new SN.

• Baller
From a distance I see a lack of consistency vs. a lack of big scores. I've skied against these guys for some time now. The number of missed 38's after trips to 41 is what sticks out. Some (most) of the top guys just don't miss that pass...

• Baller
I heard a couple reports that the boat felt spongy. It may need some tweaks or skiers will get used to it. Like Jones said, many of those guys have not missed 38 in perfect glass conditions in years.

• Baller
Here is my 2 cents. The cruise control timing felt totally different on this new system. C2 doesn't feel like C2 on any other boat I have skied (I tried other settings through out the weekend. I think there were 10 38's missed in the H2H from guys who didn't miss it all weekend and some who don't miss 39 (Rogers being one of them). It could be some sort of injection communication with the zo or any number of things above my pay grade. some turns felt normal, some there was no boat, a few i felt the boat leaving me. Very random and dissappointing. As with any new technology there are bugs, I am sure Nautique will sort it out.

• Baller
I too like to watch great skiers ski, but the Big Dawg and Masters results and the discussions got me thinking about something many folks have mentioned, been talking about, the various conditions at different sites that may or may not affect scores. Is the score really the important part or the competition? I am leaning in the direction of the event and the competition. I would rather be involved in and/or watch events that may not always favor the same type skier. My opinion/interest is that the scores are not that important, that 39 off at one lake may actually be equal to 38 off at another event, where conditions are different. Is 39 off at Moomba the same as 39 off at the Masters. From this thread, I imagine everyone skied behind the same boat, same lake, same lake conditions, ect, but the scores may be a little off, but seems like the people in the top few spots is not a big surprise.

Here’s my .02 cents. It’s a new boat which will take drivers and skiers time to learn and adjust to. There are several drivers that are comfortable in the 200 which requires very little input from the driver. Some drivers are not as comfortable in a boat that moves and requires driver input, those drivers will struggle in the beginning. I have had the opportunity to drive the boat since it was released to the team skiers . I probably have as much seat time in it as anyone other than the ski schools. It will take some getting used to as it is not a 200. I drove the new boat at lake 38 and was not overly pleased with the way I performed in it although the scores were decent. I as well need more seat time and need to watch the end course to see how I can be a better in the boat. On the other hand I have skied behind the boat plenty with Nate driving and run a bunch of 39’s with no problem. Obviously scores were very low and not consistent with scores usually produced at Cedar Ridge. Bottom line is that it will take sometime for everyone (skiers/drivers) to get comfortable

• Baller
@skierjp were you there? It wasn’t the driving, ropes or the lake. I was watching the endcourse for the H2H after I went out and those guys were driving just fine. So either all the BigDawgs were having a bad day or the new boat takes some getting used to.

From my point of view and what I feel having skied my last 12 record rounds behind the new Nautique I’m not that impressed. I think I’m feeling a loss of direction behind the boat because of all the froth or wash being disturbed by these new hydro gates. This loss of direction seems to cause me to go into the bouy a bit more down course with a bit more of a loose line this making it feel like the boat is not picking me up. Can’t say for sure that this is the issue but something is not right.