Turn Completion

Skoot1123

• Baller

Ok folks - seeking feedback and comments regarding the finish of the turn at 32 off.

Here is the scenario: when I complete the turn at 32 and I have my ski shooting out in front of me, it feels like I am on the back of the ski. Doesn’t feel like I am riding the tail of the ski though. When I do this I arrive to the next buoy early and with space, making the pass almost seem easy. I need to work on my consistency in this though.

On the other hand when this does not happen I am narrow to the buoy and have a lot of slack. Any others feel this same “phenomenon”?

I can somewhat replicate this at 28 but it doesn’t have quite the same feel.

Amy comments appreciated. Thanks!

• Baller

@bigtex2011 I believe that when I am pushing the ski out front I am early to the buoy. When that is not happening it just feels like I am going right for the buoy on both sides.

In general the difference between the two is like polar opposites. One case 32 is a smooooooth ride and the other it feels like a rodeo where I am only getting 1-3 buoys

• Baller

Your ski most likely is shutting down too much through apex and also the turn radius is too long. That will force you to the tail because if you stay forward on the ski it will either fold you or you'll fall to the inside because it's taking too long to rotate.

Best fix is to move the fin forward. This will let it carry speed through the finish and also tighten up the turn radius. I don't know how sensitive your ski is to fin moves but .005-.010" forward would probably be enough to tell you if it's better or not.

• Baller
For me, if i finish the turn too aggressively or catch the handle out front then i get peeled to the inside moving outbound to the next ball.. (making me narrow) if i'm a little more balanced with my turn, my cast outbound is better.

• Baller

All - thanks for the comments. I will try to get some video to post on here for others to see.

@AdamCord I will see what happens when I move the fin forward. If the ski is shutting down too much and for too long then that would explain why it feels like I need to get further back on the ski so I am not folded over.

The water has warmed up a bit too so that would make the ski react a little differently in the conditions I am skiing in.

@MillerTime38 right now 32 is my most challenging pass that I can make occasionally. Have gotten into 35 a couple times but not with any regularity. I know body position is something I am constantly working on so you are also correct.

Hoping to get some skiing in this weekend and try to get some video. More to come.

• Baller

@adamcord - your ability to decipher exactly what I was feeling / experiencing is phenomenal. I moved my whole fin forward by .008 and adjusted the depth to 2.511. (I am on a 2013 HO A3 - 66”). The ski was certainly different at 15,22, and 28. Almost felt like it wanted to roll over more in the preturn and during the turn. The true test was 32 though. Made two out of three 32’ off attempts. What I noticed is a shorter radii turn with a bit more speed. It really allowed the ski to come around and finish the turn with full ski engagement. I also didn’t feel like I was way on the back of the ski either. So far I really like the adjustment. I wonder if this change has any correlation to my weight as well (155-160)?

For some reason it felt like I was more on top of the water throughout my passes. Will have to ski it more to describe it in greater detail.

I did attempt a 35’ off pass and got one buoy. A little disappointed I couldnt hang on and get a few more, but considering my skiing the first part of the week I will take that for sure.

Thanks again Adam Cord for your insight! Spot on advice!

• Baller

@AdamCord - I haven’t gone any further with the fun because it had been such a sweet change!

My 28’s are almost automatic right now and my 32’@32mph are quite consistent. I’m still working on the gates for my 32’@34mph to gain more consistency but I have so far run ~9 32’@34mph. Set a PB of 5@35@32mph and 2@35@34mph.

This has been an awesome ski season so far. Have had some good coaching which has helped tremendously too. (Doug at The Liguid Edge in Farmer City, IL) I am hoping to get some more cracks at 35’ this year. Think I can make that one??!