Will rope height help?

DaveinPa

So the last few years I have been struggling getting up on one ski, just bought a new Radar Butterknife hoping that will help at age 69; rec skiing only. Current Four Winns boat is an outboard so tow rope is hooked to a harness that is hooked to the rear lifting eyes on boat. No pylon options for this boat other than custom except for a "Turboswing" that will cost me $700 plus install. My question to all the pros on this forum is; will getting the tow rope roughly 24 inches higher that it already is make that big a difference "getting me up"? Don't want to have one installed if it won't. Have not been skiing yet this year, maybe next week so hopefully the new ski will make the difference but still curious about the rope height. Thanks for any advice, Dave

• Baller
Main thing is to make sure you are propped for torque. When we had our previous boat, a 3.0l i/o it made a world of difference in the pull up switching to a 4 blade alpha prop. Lost a little top speed, but we didnt nedd to be going 50 anyways

• Baller

Having skied behind a tower a fair amount, it does actually help unload the starts. Get a nice wakeboarding tower, shorten up to 28 off and you will get some lift on the start. However, I've never had a newbie get up because of the tower. It's not magic.

An easy up handle is more effective - even for good skiers that struggle with starts.

Slaloming from a tower is a challenge to drive. But for recreational skiing behind an outboard it will probably be fine. Easier rope handling.

Your wakeboarding friends and family will enjoy a tower. Go for it regardless!

Eric

• Baller
He never really said the boat didn't have enough power to get him up. Just because it's an outboard doesn't mean it doesnt have enough power to get on plane. It could be, but I ski behind a friend's 18' bowrider with a Yamaha 115 outboard that will pull the handle out of my hands if given full throttle. I had a heavier bow rider with a 3L I/O and it would drag me for quite a while, but I learned to get up no problem. If a slow pull up is the issue, then the higher attachment could slow the boat from planing. If you have enough power, then the higher attachment could help pull you up.

• Baller

I often use a short rope about 40ft on the tower to teach people slalom it makes starts a LOT easier. My boat is an outboard and holds the lake record for the number of skiers deep start behind one boat. At the limit, the tower does lift the nose up and reduce pulling power, But the question is are you near the limit? I don’t think a ski pole will help much but it should be a lot nicer to ski behind once you are up.

Have you ever tried dropping a ski?

All super info, confirming may of my thoughts. Power is not a problem (150 hp. 2 stroke) I did used to drop a ski, learned that way in my teens. New ski (more surface) shortened rope to 60 foot, bought gloves and we shall see what happens in the next week or so. Also bought a Oneil USCG jacket that should float me higher, and last 8 weeks at a fitness gym working on 68 year old core!! Thanks everyone, love this site and knowledge! Dave