Nautique 200 error code voltage

skihart

• Baller

Hoping someone can give me some insight. This morning . I started up the boat and got this error code. Eventually it went away and we just skied. Seemed to be having a tougher time turning over the engine. Then I noticed that the voltage was only at 12 or so not the usual 13.5+.

Eventually the boat started to run rough as the battery drained so I shut it down. Put in another battery we had and it fired right up but still only reading slightly above 12v on the gauge. Is this a dead alternator? @Jody_Seal

jetla4rnj5v8.jpeg

• Baller

Do you have a volt meter? It's pretty simple to do a basic alternator check. Read the voltage of the battery with the engine off, it normally will be 12-12.5 Volts. Then start the engine and read the voltage at the battery again, the alternator should be putting out 13 to 13.5 volts.

Note: a mechanic or a good auto parts shop will have a tester that does a more detailed check to measure the current and voltage with a load on the alternator.

• Baller
Hey Bill. I only have a crappy meter here at the lake. It only has settings at 10, 250 and 500. I did test output from the alternator and it seems to read the same as the battery. I will ask around tomorrow to see if someone has a digital one to get an accurate reading. I figure I can take it in on Monday to a rebuilder and have it bench tested.

• Baller

Check battery and connections as well as charging voltage at battery as well as charging voltage at alternator.

If the battery voltage goes low the system will often be charging at a voltage higher than the over voltage limit indicator in a ecu.

• Baller
We had an bad alternator with symptoms similar to what you describe. Alternator wouldn't output voltage until revved and then it would output too much as the rpm's climbed. It bench tested fine (revved up), but if I recall correctly someone indicated a bad voltage regulator (internal) was to blame. New alternator and problem solved.

• Baller
Old jeep, you could be correct. I just know the alternator wouldn't output until revved, then tended to over voltage, and a new alternator solved the problem. My boat is 20 years old so YMMV with a 200. You could put a voltameter on it and see if the output changes once revved.

• Baller

I think it is the alternator. The reading on the battery was the same with the engine on or off. Also it seems that the voltage at alternator is the same as the battery while the motor is running. As bill said it should be about 13-14 while running if I am not mistaken.

The error codes were thrown just before the problem reared it's ugly head. I suspect the high voltage reading was just before the alternator bit the dust. I remember the volt gauge reading a bit on the high side just after the code came up.

• Baller

The regulator in the alternator likely failed. Was probably putting out a high voltage and over current until the diodes or windings in the alternator burned out due to over current. And now it's not putting out anything....

From the PCM technical manual

ECM DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES

The following codes indicate a problem with the Main Electrical System. Start at the battery, verifying that it is good, then troubleshoot your Main Electrical System power and ground paths. Correct any problem you may find. Then verify the Charging System is operating properly. Replace the alternator as required.

DTC 562 Battery Voltage Low - Battery voltage less than 10.0 volts at 1500 RPM.

DTC 563 Battery Voltage High - Battery voltage greater than 16.0 volts.

• Baller

Similar thing happened to me 3 times over the last two weeks my 2017 SN200. Error on the Screen regarding Warning High Voltage. Looked in the diagnostic screen and see this error code: DTC 1419: ERWT1 voltage high. I talked to the local Dealer and they had no idea what it was but that does not surprise me..... they have been terrible to work with!

• Baller

@jpwhit is correct. I took the alternator in to a shop today and they bench tested it. It is dead. The guy did tell me though that these Delco alternator regulators fail they tend to put out high voltage before they fail. He said in a worst case scenario they can damage some electronics in certain cases. So be careful if you get this error code.

@Nater have them bench test or swap out your alternator. It may be the issue.

He told me at 700 hours it is normally only a third of the way through its duty life.

I ordered another Delco one as they are supposed to be of high quality and better than the China knock offs.

• Baller
@Kelvin agreed. I spoke with him about that and he was pretty adamant that it has to be a marine specific alternator. For spark arresting but also a few other factors like duty cycle, heat resistance etc. The part I ordered is the exact same part as the oem.

• Baller
@Andre I needed it quickly and the new one was here by 8 am this morning. I was skiing by 9:30. When he looked up parts for that model it didn't list anything for some reason. I still have the old one and may ask around about replacing the regulator.