If you could rent an entire ski lake for a vacation, would you?

aupatking

• Baller
The guy who owns my lake and I have been rolling ideas around to keep this place viable. He’s tired of the Airbnb’ers complaining about skiers, but they rented a cabin on a ski lake, and they are expecting the whole lake. So, what if the cabin and the lake is the deal, would you?

• Baller
There's a few Lakes doing this. As a renter i think it's awesome! A group of us skiers rent it a couple weekends a year, I try to take my family for a atleast a few days a year too. BYOBoat is my preference. It's really the only way a guy like me can get on a private lake.

• Baller

@DynaSkiPete there are several peer to peer boat sites that work just like airbnb. The insurance is built into the rental there.https://boatbound.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200229304-Insurance-Safety

I'd do it ala carte make it clear the cabin rental is x a night and that includes say swimming in the lake or paddling sports but that others have access.

For another however much they can book the lake exclusively for the time. And if they want to have access to a boat put a link to the boat rental on the post. If they are going to rent the boat you'll have to give them an orientation but maybe also have some basic gear and vests in a dock locker for renters to use.

• Baller
@BraceMaker foreign critters and bugs in the lake, you make it sound less inviting. Well, maybe let them rent the boat by the hour so they don’t have a whole week to trash it. And add that the driver must be a trained driver under AWSA (or whatever the name is now).

We don't use airbnb and have been renting places on a large public lake for many years. They charge a lot for doing mostly nothing. When a rental includes bedding or similar services in Wisconsin you need a motel/hotel license, state inspections and lots of insurance. Little of this is necessary if the rental is a "house keeping" rental. Plus no laundry to do!

I looked into renting single motor water ski boats (remember I own Dyna-Ski Boats and we build outboard water ski tow boats 20' 1" long that have 900+ hp). The insurance is a killer for rentals. Our business insurance is not cheap but it is affordable. In a rental setting two to three years worth of premiums would have paid for the boats. There is no turning it off and on to avoid some of the premiums.

I have access to a private ski lake with one house on the it. The owner is very careful with allowing people to put their boats on the lake. He does not rent out the lake.

• Baller

Yes. But I'd probably enjoy watching other skiiers on it the rest of the day...once I tucker out after 2 sets.

If you are up front on AirBnB that it is a ski lake, pretty hard to complain. If they are expecting a calm and peaceful lake, I understand the complaint.

• Baller

I would interested in that rental combo. We rent a lake house for two weeks every year where there is a course, but it’s a public lake...

Most mid-week mornings (7 AM start) I have the lake to myself, which is awesome.

We bring our own boat obviously.

cffl9ubaz5sq.jpeg

• Baller_
Like many things, until you witness something in person you won't understand nor grasp what someone is trying to tell you. A non skier will have no idea on how passionate we 'ski looneys' are about getting out on smooth water, there is a good reason the word addict is in the dictionary. Not at all surprised at the OP comments on renters. If I did not have access, 'Hell Yes' :)

• Baller

I would certainly think about it. I would need a big enough house to bring 6-8 skiers to get full value out of it. I think it would be a blast.

The boat thing you would either need to certify the driver somehow or have it BYOB. I know there are places in FL where you can rent on the lake and it includes a boat. If you need to fly to the site you definitely need to have a boat available for rent.

• Baller_

Not a chance. It’s way too much fun to find some local skiers and rip with them. We hosted two out of towners this morning (and they both took me to school) and one last Saturday. That’s how you expand your base of ski friends. Now if you could rent a house on a ski lake and ski with the club, that would be a different story.

That said, if you’re inclined to rent such a lake and @jayski is serious, that is one heck of a spot!

Lpskier

• Baller
I've been offering this for years just outside Clermont FL. I had the home on VRBO until this spring when I took it down for a remodel I hope to start soon. The home was in Water Ski Magizine a few years back and been on the MC Team talk thread. Remodel has yet to take off but my repeats keep calling and coming back. You can reach me at waterskivacations@gmail.com if your interested .comes with 2015 Prostar, volley ball beach, outside ping pong table and access to private golf club and course 1 mile from home.

• Baller_

@OBXtoFl The house on Lake Florance in Mount Verde? I’ve seen it from the water. Great spot. I’ve met a bunch of your renters and they’ve all been great folks and were very positive about your house and boat. The surveyed slalom course was put in by Kris and Jen LaPoint when they lived on the lake and before they opened LaPoint Ski Park.

Also, Clermont/Mount Verde is by no means a back water. Great restaurants (where you’ll often see skiers you know and read about) and still close enough to get into Orlando in about a half hour. Plus great nearby coaching if you are looking for it. You might be able to get a coach to come to your rental and ski with you there.

Final point. Mount Verde is where road bicycle riders go to ride. Rolling hills make for some interesting rides.

Lpskier

• Baller

@OBXtoFl Hi Drew hope all is well you and the family. I see you upgraded to the new Prostar!

You are going to renovate it? I kind of like it they way it is! I guess maybe a few upgrades are in order.

I can vouch for this place as we have rented it three different years. Great spot. Skis really well and nobody else on the lake the entire time we were there. Drew is awesome to deal with. You won’t regret renting his place.

Did he mention it comes with a Prostar?.....amazing.

Rob S