2015 prostar wake vs XT 20?

smigforce

• Baller

I primarily do free skiing and have been skiing mostly behind a 2015 prostar. For many reasons a vdrive makes a lot of sense and was curious how much different the wake will be on an xt 20 ? Has anyone here skied both - thoughts - just don't even want to test drive if it's not even close? I feel like i have progressed significantly with a few seasons now on a proper inboard and don't want to loss that momentum.

A separate question would be is there a $30,000 or less inboard that will have a comparable wake to the '15 prostar?

• Baller

Not even close.Not even a beginning of a chance of a glimpse of being close.

You could have a VERY nice wake for lot less then 30k.

Less room in a DD and not a surf\wake boat but you will still progress ...

If skiing is your thing,nothing come close to a direct drive.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Administrators
One is like a Ferrari and one is like a monster truck. Both good at something but the monster truck is going to suck at the race track and the Ferrari is going to suck at crushing old cars.

• Baller

A skied an X-2 once and it was like hitting a brick wall at 32 mph - I would imagine the XT-20 would be similar but don't know for sure.

for V-drives a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX has the diamond hull and skis almost like an inboard at 32 mph. There are others out there like the Early Malibu VTX, Nautique 200-V and Mastercraft 214-V but I think those are out of your price range.

I would also recommend a early 2000's Response or Sunsetter LXI if you are looking at DD's

• Baller

I know a guy who recently was really hoping for the best of both worlds and bought a 214V. It is now on the market to be sold. I will be absolutely dumbfounded if you ski a XT20 and don't hate it.

As for a slalom boat under $30k that is just one tiny notch away from being as good as a 15 prostar? Behold the 196. Welcome to the club of folks who want an absolute top notch wake, but don't have much money.

• Baller

Very helpful feedback, thank you all!

@ski-dad - i would have a bigger budget for a V-drive. I guess what i am hearing from the group though is there is only the "least offensive" v-drive and would simply be apples and oranges if trying to replicate the new pro star wake benchmark i provided?

• Baller
Part of your problem here is that the Prostar seems to have set a whole new record for small soft wakes. Even a lot of tournament direct drives don't seem to really come all that close - especially not at longer lines and slower speeds. So with you setting your benchmark as "the greatest ever" then the discussion really is just how close can this or that boat come.

• Baller
Ah i see...i had no idea...great that i have been able to get a lot of pulls on this boat but kind of bummed to hear that lol and apologies for the novice question. I have good service from 1. Nautique 2. Malibu...distant third 3. Master craft in my area. Is the 196 considered the best older wake or are there other strong contenders? Again, mostly free skiing BUT...really really like the performance of this '15 prostar and have definitely stepped up my game spending more time behind this boat.

• Baller
I used to have a 2010 Malibu VTX before I made the jump to a DD. It was good for free skiing as long as you were 32 mph or faster. Once I started skiing in the course I decided to get a DD because it didn’t track real well and I was spending 90% of my time skiing so it made sense for me to get a 200.

• Baller

The others have nailed it IMO. I regularly ski an '08 MC TT, which isn't exactly a stellar wake, and a '01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX which is widely regarded as the best or one of the best slalom V drives ever. The TT is a better wake hands down at 34 and 36 MPH. It's a bit more firm, but definitely smaller. This is at 32 off or longer. If you're inside 32 off, you REALLY have no reason to look for a V-drive.

Video might help. Here are two free-ski vids. First one is the '01 VLX. Second is the '08 TT. Now granted the VLX had 4 passengers, a bunch of skis, gear, and a full tank of gas so this is about as bad as its wake gets, but it's all I have for video I'm afraid. Both 34 mph, 28 off. The VLX is pretty great for a V... But physics is physics.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvsaiAMtXQjadqSj7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wH115c419UUnkSzz6

If you're going from a better DD than this to a worse VD than this, I can't see how you'd be happy.

Another thing to consider with the VD. Even our '01, which is pretty nice at 34 and 36 MPH for what it is, SUCKS if you get below 30. If you have small kids, or women who like to ski with you, they'll hate the VD and not progress worth a darn with that wake.

For wakes in the 30k or less range, the aforementioned 196 is pretty nice. Bit of a rooster at 22 off but nice wakes all around. The '03-06 Malibu Response LXi is my favorite wake in that price range. It's a much more versatile boat than the 196, though if you'll have a V-drive also, that probably doesn't factor in much.

• Baller
As many have said, Malibu diamond hull has a really nice wake, and add a wedge, that some of them have, and you have a wake or surf boat. You can't imagine how it changes the wake. Depends on the need thou; if it's for just wakes or for a larger boat for more people. Good luck.