Denver losing 2 ski sites

Horton

• Administrators
I just heard that two of Denver's long time ski sites are going to shut down at the end of this year and no longer allow skiing. Can somebody from Colorado fill in the details and let us know what's going on?

• Baller

@Horton only lakes I know of are upper and lower Bergen. Water in Colorado is very complicated as most of our lakes are irrigation reservoirs. What I was told was shore errosion had become an issue on the damns. The ditch company spent almost two million in rebuilding the damn. After that they said no motorized boats allowed after this year. I really blame the large wakeboard and surf boats but that could be just my bias.

The other is Soda lake might possible be going away. It's lease was up for bid and awarded to a paddle board company speculation is that the ski school will go away in favor of paddle boarding.

• Baller
Wow, that's the first I have heard of this. Edit: I posted before seeing Travis's comments, which answered my earlier questions. Bummer if Soda goes away. It's the only lake in Colorado that I know of that is a Pay per Set lake. Lot's of people ski there.

• Baller

34c2eaay9vpr.jpeg

MS and I were so thankful to get to ski at Bergen Lake yesterday!

Rachel was so nice and we skied behind her beautiful Nautique 200! Great site and great driver!

We also met @skier2788! Was so fun..water was amazing! Great group of people.

So sad to see them losing their ski site

• Baller
I'm no engineer, but to construct a dam without proper dam erosion control seems unthinkable. Our lake, once a reservoir for a small town water supply, was built in 1934. The dam has hand laid rock to prevent wind blown wave erosion. Still works to prevent boat wake erosion.

• Baller
Wow. I've skied Soda many times while visiting Denver. It doesn't seem like the ideal paddle board site either, not to mention there is a bigger lake right next door for that sort of thing.

• Baller
Losing Soda is definitely sad, they had kid's classes that introduced 100's of kids a year (?) to waterskiing. I bet if I did a sight poll , 25% of tournament skiers in Colorado today started @ Soda.

• Baller
Losing Soda is only a rumor at this point. As @Deke pointed out the paddle board company does currently have the lease to the larger lake behind them. As far as I know they will now have the use of both lakes. So there is a chance that they will keep the ski school going and just Integrate it into the paddle boarding on the larger lake.

• Baller

I was talking to guy at boat dealership. He is a slalom ski and barefoot guy too. He asked when I barefoot or ski do i stop the boat, let the waves hit back of boat and then pivot the boat to turn around and get skier or footer. I said yes i do. He said that tip/hint is what should get out to all the wakeboarders & wake surfer boat guys. Whether they have their ballast tanks full or not, if they slow the boat down to stop and let their big big waves hit back of boat, then pivot to turn around to get their surfer or wake boarder, that would decrease all big ass waves they make from rolling down lake and hitting sides of lakes and prevent erosion. He said he has seeing a lot of them pound throttle down and turn around which sends big waves rolling into the shores, etc.....

just a thought for all lakes and does make sense....

• Administrators
Crazy how cheap skiing is in some parts of the country and how expensive it is on others. If I was actually selling rides I have no idea what the price would be. I think the going rate in Florida for a set with coaching is around $80. That makes sense to me but $39 for 10 minutes is wacky.

• Baller
On the surface it seems like a bit much. I believe it is ten minutes of ski time which is around 6 passes. It also gets more expensive when you figure in a paid dock starter and a paid driver with liability insurance. Different when it is a business than pulling a buddy on a private pond.

• Baller
$39 for ten minutes and no coaching seems on par to me given they don’t start the clock while boat is on the lift. The few times I’ve videoed my sets I skied 6 passes in 6.5 minutes. As a business I don’t know how anybody could charge $39 for anything. I can’t even answer the phone for $39.

• Baller_

For $39 I can fly to NY, but there is a $10 tax on that and forget any baggage.

We charge $40 a set for an uncoached set. A set is 6-8 passes. Maybe 10 if we aren’t busy and you’re a big tipper. There’s often some free ski tips thrown in (see Big Tipper, above). But there’s no way we get six sets an hour. Four or five is probably more like it. Ten sets an hour is the tournament rule of thumb but that’s a four pass average, no picking up fallen skiers, using the wait timer (that I prefer to use anyway) and having the next skier dropping in as the last skier drops off.

There are lots of things that can bug me about a professional ski operation. High and missing buoys are right up there, but being rushed is near the top. And probably causes some injuries, directly or indirectly.

Lpskier

• Administrators
10 minutes dock to dock seems pretty rushed for 40 bucks. I guess you'd learn to hump but it's nice to take breathe and think between passes or take eight passes when you want to.

• Baller

I'm guessing the gas consumption per minute is probably close for both activities. You can wakeboard for a lot longer time than you can ski passes. Therefore, one set for a wakeboarder will be a lot more time than a someone skiing.

The cost per time is probably their way of a single price for both skiing and wakeboarding.

• Baller
Talked to some Bergan skiers last season and the water ski lease was pulled because the lake shore owners were seeing to much erosion from the big wake boats. Also heard that there were some owner leaser issues with noise and boater attitude. Glad soda is at least offering rides. I'm not to sure the cost is significantly different under the new management. If you don't belong to a private ski lake here there are no other options for course slalom skiing.

• Baller

@DaveD exactly....

(Again...What???)

You can wakeboard for ten minutes in 10 minutes. You can slalom, trick, talk, adjust your shorts, fix your gloves one finger @ a time, or miss 20 deep water starts in 10 minutes.

If you don't want to feel rushed, take 6 passes. If you spin, you can get 10 passes.

I drove at Soda at for the past 5 summers which means i was there Monday tur Friday 50 hrs or more a week 99 % of the skiing public can not ski or board for more than 10 minutes. There were many times we gave people a little extra time if they had problem and just made up the time by not skiing in the next staff time slot. In 2012 the price was $31.00 for 10 minutes boats cost ,fuel,wages,ect. if you look at what it costs to own a boat and have a private lake by your equipment and fuel and maintaince ,insurance $39.00 is a bargin to just come out and ski or board. The new owners raised the price for single sets but if you buy a pack of 50 sets the price goes down to $34.00/per

I have experience in this area because i was the Mastercraft promo guy here till 2015 and belonged to a private lake at upper bergen which is also closing