4 Bladed Happiness & Proof!

DaveinPa

After a discussion with a prop guru in Florida, I replaced the aluminum 3 blade with a 4 blade stainless on my Johnson 150 Ocean Pro two stroke. Two times out skiing and my daughter and I saw an improvement and I am at 185 lbs, no more "firewalling". Today was "guys" day, one only runs the boat to pull me, the other guy is younger than I @ age 64 and I have had him out the last 3 seasons. The end of last year he had 3 "failure to launches" on two skis. Had not happened before. I gave him my skis and he did get up but barely. He weighs 208 lbs. Realized today this might help but said little. My skis on him and I could tell he was nervous so I hammered it and he was out and up and grinning like a Cheshire cat. He got out of the water 4 or 5 times today and he was amazed. Probably cut the planing time by more than half. So although not an inboard, (someday?) the prop has made a world of difference for us to ski, don't know why I did not think about it sooner!! Dave

• Baller
Prop is really important. I had a random chance to ski in the back Bay of Stone Harbor NJ last week. Boat was just a 20 foot bowrider with 175 hp Yamaha outboard. Boat owner just had a SS prop made for the boat, supposedly for pulling watersports. Worst hole shot on a 150+ hp boat I've ever experienced. It was laughable. I was behind the same boat with a 150 hp Merc and that was considerably better. The correct prop for the intended purpose is invaluable.

• Baller
We did A and B comparisons with a HydroDyne GS years ago. The boat had a much improved hole shot with the 4 blade vs 3 blade but it did lose a little on top end. Overall smoother and slightly softer wash as well.

• Baller
@DaveinPa we stay in Avalon too, just driving back to Pittsburgh today. Some of my group rented a boat and driver out of Stone Harbor and my daughter wanted to go with. Figured I'd ski once while out. They had a Connelly Concept so why not? Company had just replaced the outboard this year and had it reproped. Just awful, and I ski behind a '79 IO with an I6 every year.