Recommendations on old school classic skis that might be had on the super cheap nowadays

escmanaze

• Baller

Hi Folks,

My little 17 yo nephew who weighs about 140 pounds is thinking he has taken Grandpa's 69" P6 about as far as he can take it. I think he's probably about right.

"Every time I cut the ski doesn't cut it just slips out from under me and I crash"

He's only freeskiing, so all he cares about is the turns and a ski that will really grip the turns. Maybe a ski that rides super deep then? He just doesn't care about cross-course speed. So my thought is that he might like a very aggressive, very skinny skis better than wide skis that are "fast".

His roughly $150 price range likely puts him in the ballpark of skis that are 10-20 years old and back then, I just wasn't paying attention to the waterski market so I have not clue what to recommend to him.

• Baller

@LeonL Thanks much for the input, and I am definitely looking on ski-it-again. However, I'm more looking to know what skis were really popular 15 years ago that everybody loved and couldn't get enough of. That way when I find one of those on ski-it-again I can buy a ski that everybody loved and avoid the skis that came out and were kind of duds that people didn't ski very well on.

Thanks

• Baller

Agreed. But the original Nomads were somewhat hit or miss for people. I moved from a 9200 to a Nomad. Being that we're usually on somewhat rough water the nomad seemed more planted for me. I never felt a need to replace that ski although D3 usually has a few flavors in the works and I think people who didn't like the Nomad really liked the X7.

When I actually read his post what it reminds me of are Obrien Sieges - those things really trenched the tail.