So I ran over my dog yesterday

jercrane

• Baller

My boy Bruno is a 70 lb rescue mix with some Rotti and a bunch of other things in him. He is dumb as a box of rocks but he’s a sweetheart and loves riding in the boat. This is his favorite spot to ride.

ycfnpm87cy7p.jpeg

Right now a bunch of you are cringing just looking at that pic. I know. Here’s the thing though. I’ve had dogs in boats for my entire life. 40+ years of mutts riding the bow like this and not once had an issue. Sigh (shakes head)

Well me and my boy went out for a spin early evening yesterday to check the conditions at the course site. On the way out it was a zoo on the lake. (Public lakes ... grrr). Boat chop was out of control.

He’s usually pretty good at riding out a few rollers and I’m careful not to slow too quickly but we hit this weird double crossing wake and the poor guy went right over the front. At 30 mph!

I slam the boat into neutral and every horrible thought imaginable goes through my head. I turn around expecting the worse and out he pops dead center in the wake, ears back, eyes bugging out in that “what the eff just happened way”, paddling his brains out back to the boat.

I haul his ass back on the platform and he’s got his tail between his legs, fully body shakes. I inspect his whole body. Not a mark on him. He starts licking my face as if he’s apologizing for doing something wrong.

After shaking and soaking the entire boat he crawls under the dash and curls up in a ball and won’t come out until we are back at the dock. Let me tell you there is not much space in a SN 200 cockpit with a 70 lb dog at your feet.

I guess I’ll be putting the air dam in from now on when Bruno is in the boat.

Ps here he is pretending to be a lapdog while I write this.

9bup89qjfcne.jpeg

• Baller
My dog fell out of the boat a few weeks ago when I was skiing. I didn’t notice at all and the driver only noticed when he saw her climbing out of the water onto the bank. He was thinking “Hey, didn’t she used to be in the boat!” She is a tiny 7 pound lap dog.

• Baller

Early in my ski career I was pulling my buddy with his trihull with a Johnson outboard and his big furry dog at the bow. The skiers falls, the boat slows quickly, and I pull up to the skier who asks " why is Frosty swimming in the water?" Everyone was fine but that dog went right under the boat and popped out the back with that same look on his face. I'm pretty sure i had the same look on my face too!

There are no cushions in the front our 200OB.

• Baller

Glad he is ok! That must have been a tough few seconds. I have seen a few cases where items pass under the belly of the boat unharmed. Not sure if it’s luck or if objects are channeled to the sides. Not that I will ever count on this phenomena!

I don’t let my 75lb labs the boat mostly because of the mess and potential damage, but also because of unplanned exits.

Open bows have always concerned me, especially in agile yet rough riding 19’ ski boats.

• Baller
Glad your pup is OK! I gave up on my dogs in the boat after my latest pup decided he would jump over the gunnel and scared himself to the point he wouldn't get out of the cockpit. Definitely no room for a 75 lb doberman and my feet in the same space under the dash.

• Baller

@adkh2oskier He won't even go near the Nautique anymore. He trots out to the dock with me and then goes and stands next to the Whaler. The second I step into the Nautique he turns around and trots right back up to the house with his ears back and head down. :D

Poor fella might be scarred for life. Oh well its probably for the best. A true Live and Learn story.

• Baller

Yeah he's afraid of the dishwasher as well. When he was about 6 months old he was licking some dishes and his collar got caught on the rack. He freaked out and ripped the door off the dishwasher trying to run away. That was over 2 years ago. He still won't go in the kitchen when the dishwasher door is open. My wife opens the dishwasher now when she is cooking and doesn't want him begging. :)

Big dogs are fun.