Ski club or ski group in central Florida?

Cnewbert

• Baller
I am looking for an active ski club or a ski group within a hour (or so) of Ocala, FL, or for that matter, anyone looking for an additional skier to drive/ski/observe and contribute to operating expenses. Slalom course greatly desired. Let me know!

• Baller
Hi MillerTime38, can you let me know more specifics on the location where you ski? I could look up the drive time on Google Driving Directions. I assume that by responding you are open to having another skier join you. How often do you ski? Thanks!

• Baller
But I'm also thinking there might be just a small group of avid skiers -- not a commercial operation -- that might be open to having another skier join them and share expenses. I had that opportunity last year but the boat owner sold his lake house and moved to CA, unfortunately. It was sweet while it lasted!

• Baller
Orlando76, I remember our discussion. I sent you a PM on Aug 20, but I never heard back. I’m not sure you saw it but you could look it up. Anyhow, I think the hang up was that you are not available week day mornings to ski. Is that still the case?

• Baller
MillerTime38, I think our posts and PMs must have crossed. Anyhow, I did answer your PM. Don’t know if you saw it. I looked up Ocean Pond. Everything sounds perfect for what I’m looking for... except the drive time appears to be a good 1.5 hours. That just wouldn’t work on a regular basis I’m afraid. But maybe one of these days I should just give it a try a see what the drive is really like. It sounds like you have a great set up!

• Baller
thager, I’m with you all the way. I’m currently driving 1hr+ each way 3x weekly to ski. But the ski club has some issues and I’m looking for a better alternative, hopefully not much farther away than I already drive. If I have no luck I’ll probably stick with what I’ve got. I sure won’t stop skiing!

• Baller
MIskier, how many days a week did you do that? Anyhow, to be clear once again, I am not lacking for skiing, as I do ski 3x weekly at present. But there are some things going on with the club I ski with that I’m not thrilled about, so I’m looking for an alternative. Meanwhile, I’m continuing to ski.

• Baller_
@Cnewbert, 2-3 days a week. We had ski league every Tuesday and then I would go on the weekend. Occasionally, I might add a Thursday into the mix I think the most I ever did was 4 days in a week. Work was part of the limiting factor.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

It's freaking weird that most of the ''looking for partners\ski place\course\club'' threads are from Florida guys...

With all the lakes,warm weather,retired-but-still-in-shape guys you would think it must be easy to find peoples to ski close by where you live.

I must be missing something.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
Andre, what you are missing in my case is that where I live in FL there are no ski lakes particularly close by. I'm north of Ocala, the Horse Capital of the World. But the nearest ski lakes are at least 1 hour away, and the epicenter of FL skiing, Orlando, is 1.5+ away. That would require 3+ hours of driving each ski day. I'm presently driving 2+ hours 3x weekly to ski, and I'm hoping not to extend that by much if I find a new group to ski with.

• Baller
@Andre you are missing something, Florida is not just Orlando and south, Jacksonville area there is only one tournament lake within 2 1/2 hours and they don’t take new members, trust me I have tried but there are some nice people skiing there that invite me out once in a while. Only place I have been able to find is an hour drive on a public lake with a floating course. People are shocked when I told them we got a permit. Gets the job done but when living in dallas I had 4 lakes within an hour and they all welcomed new members......