Level 10 is mostly not a thing anymore

Horton

• Administrators

I suspect this change was missed by almost everyone ....

see http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/Level10Cheatsheet.htm

• Baller

Seriously, why all the levels?? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Aren't a few age divisions all we need, and then we have contests for who can beat who on any given day?? Yes scores are relevant, and should be tracked for certain rankings and qualifications, but should they really be driving the whole thing?

Now I concede that I don't know much about the level program, and it could possibly have formed a terrific feeder system that is attracting many newcomers, but seems a little confusing. I miss the concept of competition on the day of...

• Administrators

@drew Level 10 seems to have been designed specifically to make @Jody_Seal angry so I supported it.

Otherwise, I personally think we should eliminate Open and Masters divisions at Regionals and Nationals.

• Baller

I am not sure I understand what is new. Can anyone summarize?

I see now min 5 skiers, not sure that makes sense in all cases.

I see we will reference a score for qualification that is based on top 3% where I thought before it was “floating”, right?

It appears that if you are M5 or older you will not be forced into MM now called SM? Only M3/M4? Isn’t Badal M5?

I believe these things are new. Anything else?

• Baller

I do not find the language completely clear: Included "M3, M4, and MM for Senior Men skiers (SM). " So let say I am level9/MM qualified (I am), and then ski in a tournament as Men6 and run 2@41 (I can't), I would not be forced into L10, but if I ski in MM vice Mens6 at a tournament and run the same score I would be pushed into L10? Not sure if that is correct or makes any sense.

I also don't believe anyone should be required to be in Open or MM base on a single score in a C tournament. 3 score average or R, maybe, C no. In theory if I could run 2.4@41 in a C it would not count for a Men6 record, but I would be forced to ski in MM?

• Baller
Re reading the New Level 10 and Rule 3.03 FAQ, It appears the inclusion of (M3, M4, and MM for Senior Men skiers (SM). ) is only for the pool of scores for setting the cut off. Therefore it appears all 34mph and 36mph are subject to Level 10?

• Administrators

I know this is crazy but most of the change is for Trick and Jump. I understand there is no longer a Level 10 for Trick and Jump any more.

For slalom there is a Level 10 but it is no longer mandatory.

The real focus of the rule is now about Overall.

If I got this wrong I will get a text message from the Dark Queen of the Rule Book soon.

• Baller

That may be, but not my interpretation as it says:

* Level 10 creates a level of performance, that when achieved, mandates that a skier compete in their elite division for the remainder of that ski year.

*Question: What’s the difference between L9 and L10?

Answer: L9 is elite division optional, L10 is mandatory elite