Front zip or backzip w/double back layer.

OldboyII

• Baller

Need an advise!

Choosing between wetsuit with double back like BILLABONG INTR. 5X4 BZ LS FULL which has a very logical protection from water that goes in via zip.

And one of suites with front zip and upper entry.

Any advises or ideas appreciated!

Thanks!

Front zip is easier to zip closed and open. Although some of the front zips are harder to put on for "larger folks", as the opening to put on is not as large as the rear zip. All the higher end wetsuits all seal well, you can tell this with the double glued construction, and an internal seamless flap behind the zipper. Also the materials used on the higher ends suits are much much more comfortable and free moving. Most wetsuits are made for surfers, who are in the water constantly for multiple hours so keep that in mind. They are meant to let a thin layer of water in between the suit and skin, your body temperature warms this water to keep you warm. Water skiing you aren't in the water that long...or shouldn't be, and when you stand all that water flushes out.

• Baller

@Joeprunc what "internal seamless flap behind the zipper" you mean? Regular type flap under the zip or something else?

I found the additional layer behind back zip which totally isolates zip from the skin and let water go out (not in) only in the suit mentioned in starting post.

I do not have much info so will be thankful to hear more options.

@OldboyII

This is a cheaper modeled wetsuit, there is just a thin bit of neoprene behind the zipper. When opened more, the bare skin is exposed.

335.4_qs7mmimage4_3_6.jpg

The higher ends models have a "seamless flap" that covers the whole back. Some of the really nice ones also come up and around the neck. Kind of like the image on the left here.

wetsuit-zip-guide.jpg

This flap really helps keep water leakage from your zipper to a minimum. But again, water skiing in the winter, you aren't submerged in the water for hours like you are surfing, so a little seepage isn't all that bad.

oh and the thicker your wetsuit the less mobility you are going to have. A 5/4mm is going to be a thick motor scooter. The higher end models usually use a much nicer more mobile neoprene....but again skiing there is very very little movement in comparison to surfing.

I've had all the above major wetsuit brands over the years. O'neil, Billabong, Hurley, Excel, Hotline, Quicksilver, They all make great suits, but personal body type fitment makes one brand better than the other.

• Baller

I think a 3/2mm best quality suit is perfect for waterskiing down to 10 deg Celsius water temp with no mobility issues. At lower temperatures I would buy the O’neill Fluid Neo Drysuit. I wouldn’t go to a 4/3 or higher millimeter suit.

The Fluid Drysuit is a bit pricey but mobility is as good as a good 3/2mm

• Baller

@Joeprunc Thank you for comprehensive survey!

@skialex Neo Dry looks like very nice blend of two worlds.

I am somewhere in between XL and L (closer to XL) depending on maker.

What do you think which size to go for? Is there enough space for thin vest?

And.... normally I wear XL Oneil...

• Baller

@OldboyII don’t know really, two friends have it but at size M.

It is not bulky like the assault hybrid and don’t think you can wear the vest underneath. It more looks like an O’Neill wetsuit and it is true at size. Those friend also use a 3/2 psychofreak suit at the same size.

I have a Psycho3 3/2, back zipper with techobutter2 and glued seams and psycho one front zipper. I ski year round but and for the Greek climate are enough no need for a dry suit. But those two friends both like the extra warmth of the neo dry suit.

At 180 lb, L is my size at O’Neill.

Hope this helps.