Ad Blocking software

Horton

• Administrators
I made some changes to the web site the other day and it looks like more than 1/2 if the visitors to the site use some sort of AdBlocker. I am wondering if my data is correct.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Sort of. I don't actually use an adblocker but google syndication and doubleclick I have blocked at the firewall. I don't have any issues with ads per se, but I do have an issue with then being used to track me through sites. It does appear that you must have shut off the doubleclick stuff that was added a week or so ago because I am seeing the ads now,

• Baller
I am using ad blocker in Chrome (using IE for this session). When I access your site, I get a message that this has been detected and asked to turn it off. I use it to avoid pop-up ads and scrolling (moving) banner ads. I have no issue with the ads you have down the left or across the top, however I do not intend to disable it for anyone, even you. I have designed and deployed numerous web sites during my career and part of that process was polling users on what annoys them. The most common answer is anything that moves or pops up interrupting the reading of content. If I can't access this site via Chrome with my ad blocker, then I will not be accessing this site...

• Administrators

@Roger & @oldjeep

I hear your distaste for what I am doing and do not want to discourage any long time Ballers. The rub is that if I only some of the banners display for some of the readers then I am not performing for my advertisers. I do not think this site would survive with a pay wall so I need to the banners to be seen.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I hate to say it, but I'm right with you @roger ... I'm out of here. My disdain for ad networks trumps my addiction to this site.

I've been perfectly content for the last 5 years viewing the very relevant, sometimes entertaining, and rarely objectionable first party ads here. All during this time, I've been running ad blockers and script blockers. I felt pretty good about my obsession, believing this is how it ought to be - a website that entertains and educates me about the sport I love while supporting the businesses so closely related to it.

I've bought plenty of stuff I wouldn't have because of the synergy of the first party advertising and the thoughtful conversation about the products of the forum. During slow times with no new forum content to keep me occupied, I'd click through the ads and the list of advertisers. I can't imagine any more effective advertising.

Now I'm made to feel like I'm stealing something because I use an ad blocker. What I do with other sites that detect ad blockers is I don't use them, and I've gotten along fine without them. You need to do whatever is right for your business and I'm probably wrong, but for some reason the phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

I hope to see all of you at a lake somewhere, sometime, in real life!

• Baller_

I'm new here, no clue what my home & work computer do for ad blocking, bu I will say I am VERY happy visiting this forum daily. Ads are not disruptive, they relate to our sport. I don't see what all the drama is about so maybe I'm just fortunate to be tech stupid.

Keep up the great work Mr. Horton & Happy New Year!

• Administrators

I am super sorry to see anyone tap out but if I can not deliver for my advertisers then there is no BallOfSpray.

On the other hand I do not love Google either. The only ads that are served by Google are the banners that run inside the forum for the 3 biggest sponsors of the site. In the next few weeks I will look again to see if I find another way to serve those banners. Even if I do find a way to serve those ads without Google I will still ask site visitors to disable ad blocking or white list this site.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@dbutcher

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

This site mostly circumvents the negative repercussions of ad blockers but it is a nightmare for any advertising supported web site. Water Ski Mag did not go away because of lack of readers - it went away because of lack of ad revenue. BallOfSpray is currently a healthy business but without banners running it would simply go away. I am taking a stand because I want my advertisers to get value today and for years to come.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton I am using Chrome and have disabled (or at least think I have in chrome - no plug in or 3rd party software being used ) the blocker for this site yet I have only 1/2 the screen viewable because your statement on the use of ad blockers is impairing my already small net book screen?

In my part of the world our internet is getting slower and slower due to the increasing traffic and ever shrinking bandwidth available. If these adds are going to slow down the already slow loading of BOS pages then that is yet another issue

• Administrators

@S1Pitts

The message should not eat up more than 1/8th of your screen and if you successfully disable your adblocker the message should not load at all. In other words - if you see the message then you have a blocker running.

I am working on making the message smaller than it currently is.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Or it could be that the script is incorrectly identifying an ad blocker because he is running on a limited functionality device or has limited js support. Trust me when i say that your ad blocker detection script isn't telling you definitively if people are blockin ads. Fwiw, the default ms edge setting that blocks certain types of bad ad serving techniques seems to hide the perfski banner image on my phone. Link is there.

• Administrators
If anyone cares - there is no longer any Google Double Click or AdSense code running on the site. It it is going to cost me an additional $50 a month but I think it is the right direction.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
That message will show up for a variety of reasons. If you have your browser security set to a reasonable level then the off site included js script that does the detection will not be allowed to run and result in the message being shown.

• Administrators

@owolff

No business impact but I am aware of trends in the web advertising universe and changes in the BallOfSpray reader behaviors. A smart business person tries to stay ahead of the curve.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Ok I have 5 internet capable devices in my house. 4/5 display the site without the view blocking banner however the 10 inch notebook I prefer for daily use has the banner.

Of the 3 windows based devices the notebook is the only one running windows 10. All 3 run Kaspersky Internet Security and Chrome browser.

I have tried everything I can including getting our IT tech at work to look at it and we have been unable to get the banner to clear even with Kaspersky disabled so we believe it is a windows 10 issue. Funny thing is I see the ads just fine!!!! Just cant get rid of the banner.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.