Bunk spacing for '17 ProStar

Jboss

• Baller

Hey Gang,

I finally got my '17 ProStar in the water and over to my Shore-Station. Now, I'm struggling big time with bunk spacing. I can't seem to achieve the correct width and height (for fin clearance over cross-bar). It shouldn't be this hard. If I go with 54" upfront and 60" in the back (which was recommended to me), it (I think) will make the boat sit a little lower (vs. closer-spaced bunks) and may cause the fins underneath to hit the crossbar when entering the Shore-Station. I also want to be sure that the boat is properly supported. Has someone cracked this nut and would be willing to enlighten me on the best way to go about this? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Baller

@skimtb Here are a few pics. One shows that i have the bunks set one notch above the highest setting. The other pics show where/how the bunks are hitting the hull near the rear. I'll checkout the link. Oh, and haha on the "loud" joke. Everyone's a comedian! bw34rmv30ltx.jpg

3lcpktnjsenr.jpg

8wzu22396q0d.jpg

• Baller

@Jboss Your 2nd pic is why I started the other thread. You can see big time gap btw the bunk and boat due to the lip on bottom of hull. I think I saw in manual they want 500 sq. Inch of bunk Support. Check that, I could be wrong.

You may be able to go really narrow, or get longer bunk support brackets?

• Baller
@skimtb I didn't know there are manufacturer guidelines for support. It certainly makes sense. I am going to look into taller support brackets and move the bunks out to the "flat spot". Hopefully, that will put me in good shape. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my Shore Station is 6 years old.

I have a 19 pro star and went through this last year. There are guidelines in the owners manual (under “Storage Cradle”)for minimum support area do 500 sq inches but it does not recommend bunk placement. In the end I went with the outside bunk locations on the trailer for my lift cradle, which is on the flat sections on the hull. Spacing is 57” between the bunks. Seemed a little wide but looked like the best option to me. I do have the advantage of a v cradle frame that gives me extra clearance of all the running hardware and prop.

• Baller
Keep in mind the middle of those bunks don't support anything, really. The Shorestation aluminum bunks are not even bolted down completely fixed on one side, so that they can slide a bit to accommodate some bending of the bunk. For all intents and purposes your boat is taking the loads in 4 spots in pretty small areas no matter what.

• Baller

I did mine different than any boat I have done in the past. My bunks are actually wider at the bow and narrow toward the transom. Much of this was based on the 4 bunk trailer and trying to match it with 2 bunks on the lift. Also there is some funky geometry on the as the hull transitions to the transom and I did one a single load case on that bump. See picsjv2a93184lh1.jpg

tcwx5zaazy4v.jpg

ek4eb1e6wff1.jpg

1mcpge71mr6n.jpg

• Baller
@epnault This is fantastic, Eric. Thanks so much for putting it together. I wonder if there is a "best practices" section or thread where you can post this. I'll be there are many others who could benefit from it.

• Baller

Rock solid guys. From about engine forward it sits "in" to the bunks toward the bow. It would take a lot of force to rotate the boat out of that position. Sometimes the wife and kids like to hop in before the boat is loaded and still now issues at all. Most of the time it is just me in the boat.

• Baller
@LoopSki you're correct - I don't have a prostar, so please help me understand why a prostar owner cant use the trailer bunk spacing to set up the same on a lift? I'm obviously missing something as a non prostar owner. Curious . Thanks much

• Baller
The narrow set up leaves very little room to get the tracking fins through, i just built a set of bunks with a gap for the lifting chines to sit in, 2-2×6 stacked with a gap around 1 foot long in the top board towards the rear. I set the rear width at about 30 inches, so far works better but only been a few days.

• Baller

@LoopSki @skihacker

Are you guys floating the boat into your lift? Do you have rub rail guide poles on your lift?

I have an L dock section next to my lift. I park the boat driver side on the dock and then hop out of the boat and float it by hand into the lift. I then use a reference point for the forward position (mine is the rear gas cap and the rear/transom rub rail guide poles)

• Baller
I float on or off, I've always had my lift set up so the drive shaft stays behind the rear cross bar. Water is usually pretty low in the fall. I have a pole clamped to the rear of the cradle as a reference point, the water is way too murky to see through. The nav light socket is the reference point on the boat. The narrow setup for the bunks works but I kept hitting the back end of the bunks with the tracking fins.