Comfort adjustments for an HRT rear binding

DaveD

• Baller

I tried out my HRT for the first time last night. Although I am happy with how I skied with it, I need to make adjustments to improve the comfort and how it's holding my foot.

The biggest issue was the little toe side of my rear foot being pushed up between my toe and ankle. It felt like I had a left foot binding on my right foot. On the dock after my 1st set, I put my other foot in and felt the same issue so the binding is symmetrical. Looking inside the HRT, I can see that the foot bed is raised on both sides just forward of where an arch support would normally be.

Has anyone else had an issue with this and what did you do to improve the comfort? I really don't want to pull the binding apart to skive some foam off the foot bed if I don't have to.

The other issue has to do with tightness around the toes versus the tightness around the ankle. I am going to try different ways to lace the strings to get the fit tighter around the ankle without over-tightening around the toes.

Has anyone found a different way to improve the snugness around the ankle other than adjusting the way the laces run?

• Baller
I hope you find a method that is comfortable and easy to accomplish. I had an HRT for a set or two and decided to go back to the toe plate. I like the idea of the HRT, but for me I didn't like using one. Maybe I should have tried it a few more times, but I decided to just go back to what I know and like.

• Baller

Unfortunately you can’t do much to modify the footbed.

I totally see your issue, in fact I faced a similar situation with one of my HRT’s I bought online.

I used a dremel tool and went inside the boot to grind a bit of the foam off that area.

Didn’t work too good, boot was still uncomfortable as hell.

I tried different HRT’s @ Perfski and it seems that they have slight variations in the contour/shape of the footbed. One was totally uncomfortable, another one (same model) was quite ok, so I went with that one.

• Baller
@DaveD I think with a little more use it may begin to form to your foot contours. I had double vectors for a while. When I upgraded I gave the front to another skier. I’m Lff they are Rff. The immediately noticed the footbed had formed to my foot and it felt like having a shoe on the wrong foot. After a little use it had formed to their foot.

• Baller
I went from double boots to radars HRT. Have about 5 or so sets in it. I’m size 11 running shoe and running the HrT laces pretty much fully loose. Its definitely more comfortable with every set.

• Baller
@DaveD I relaced my HRT with bungee laces and like @ScottScott only used the top three loops. Once I set the desired tension I haven’t changed it, giving me the same feel every time. Works great with my front MOB release system.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller