Perfect Pass GPS Enhanced Wacky

skibrum54

New to the forum so maybe there is a thread. I have a Stargazer 8.0 on my 95 Nautique, GT40 using no magnet timing. Have calibrated, tried tach inversion, different values for Kx and results are similar. In GPS slalom mode, boat always enters hot no matter how slow I push throttle to engage (about 31-32 mph), then throttle jumps up and down for first half of course, finally ends up slow (28 - 29 mph) with a fairly accurate time. Runs fine in Classic Slalom mode which at my skiing level is not an issue. Just curious as to whether this is a common problem or if there is a fix. Wondering if it is a noisy GPS speed indication?

• Baller

@skibrum54 - you probably need to lower your baseline RPM for each speed, they are probably too high and locking too late for your boat combo - i know you calibrated but try lowering one of the speeds by 300 RPMs to see it that helps. If it does then lower all the speeds accordingly. These RPM baselines are different than that ones in the classic mode.

if that doesn't help you could upgrade like they said - i have my eye on 9.2 myself b/c it is so much easier to navigate.

• Baller
Call perfect pass. Their customer service is amazing. They talked me through a very similar situation right out on the lake. Stayed on the line for at least half and hour with me as I adjusted numbers, took off, slowed down, stopped, changed numbers, and so on. Great company!

• Baller

Stargazer of that vintage had a habit of "running" away at 2 ball speeding up in the middle of the course and slowing down at the end rendering perfect overall times but making it feel like shit to ski. Is this possibly what your experiencing? Look at your ball times. If they are not within a couple of thousands It won't ski right and the only way to fix it is with background settings.(there is a whole art to that)

I invested a whole summer getting 2 boats to work right and got it right at the end. I have no idea if the upgrade has solved this problem.

• Baller

@skibrum54 I bought a boat in 2012. I got it in the course and got it mapped and it did the same thing. The way @skiboyny described it is right on. I lost my patience and just un-mapped my courses. Dummy. Like you I should have just gone into classic or even RPM or something.

Anyway, I did just barely buy the version 9 upgrade and I haven't even installed it yet. Now some of these other comments have me really hoping that it's even the 9.2 upgrade. I guess I'll see when I go home tonight. Either way, here is to hoping that it really fixes the issue. I'll keep updated here as I find out more.

• Baller

+1 upgrade.

Ski time is to valuable to waste messing with background settings if you don’t have to. With 9.0 or higher the amount of time you spent tweaking settings is greatly reduced. Call or email and they will drastically reduced the upgrade price.