slalom the hard way

Horton

• Baller_
A few years ago, we had a tremendous amount of wind after round 1 at a tournament in Grand Rapids. It was bad enough that many veterans skipped round 2 (I was one of them). The collegiate participants got out their trick skis and did slippery slalom, in otherwise unskiable conditions, for their round 2. If I recall correctly, there were some complete passes run.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I haven't tried it in few years but I used to run the course on my Wakeboard at 15 off at 22mph. I could get all 6 but only if I skipped the gates and just hung outside the wakes to get to 1 ball. Just couldn't seem to get enough angle with a toe edge through the gates, but lots of fun.

• Baller
I came very close to running the course last year in a trick ski, while drinking a beer, in a chicken costume. Its been a few years since I went for shortline but at 16-17 mph I think I have ran 39 off or come close. Although the boat path was probably pretty sketchy as you can move the boat a few feet.

• Baller_

Don't know if they still do it but years ago the INT league had a wake board slalom course category. A guy named Ken Bernard was insane on a wake board (like 22+ mph, 28-32 off if I remember). My buddy goes thru the course on a board doing 180's & 360's ball to ball!

Here's an old article

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910702&slug=1292284