Trick rope modification

TravisNW

• Baller
I see lots of skiers modifying ropes. It appears that often a non stretch rope on the skier end is being attached to a stretchy poly rope on the pylon end for hand passes. What details can you share? Are you using slalom rope sections? What kind of knot is used to connect them?

• Baller_

There are 2 uses/reasons for the extra sections:

1. an approx 18" section on the pylon to serve as a sacrificial piece that will wear with the rope release and is easily replaceable about once a year. It also lets the skier adjust length between toe and hand passes and 18" is pretty close for most skiers. I fid this section into itself for a loop on each end and no knot. Using a white slalom rope also helps visibility when retrieving the rope after a release.

2. using a 4-8' section of slalom rope on either end adds a little stretch/spring to the almost "no stretch" spectra lines that gives a little extra energy on flips.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Rope length needs to be adjusted for different conditions. Speed. boat model, lake depth, lake temperature and even the tricks you are working on. A slalom section from a retired rope is usually handy and can go on and off easily. Perfect adjustment tools. Get the rope length right!

Thin ropes don't come off a Robbins or rope release properly. A slalom section works well for the release safety. The Masterline split pin release chews up rope ends - replacing a slalom section is cheaper and easier. For safety and utility reasons, don't terminate your rope in spectra.

Stock ropes often come with a float. This is a lot easier to make with poly rope so the stock rope will come with a ploy float termination. Usually there are a couple spectra sections to adjust gross rope length.

@Bruce_Butterfield stretch in a rope takes away energy available to the skier. Especially bad for flips (I've done the tests - both of rope stretch and flip crashes). Fortunately, there's not enough stretch in a couple slalom sections to make a difference. Don't add lots of stretchy rope to help your flips (or any other trick). Often, hands are done faster needing a longer rope. Do get the length right.

Eric

• Baller_
@eleeski I've had 2 10,000 plus trickers, who also happen to be excellent coaches, recommend adding a short section of slalom rope for a little give / stretch on advanced tricks. With all due respect (or lack thereof), I'll take their recommendations over yours;)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I need all the help I can get. At 10000 requirements are quite different from someone just learning and don't always translate well to the rest of us.

A lot of common knowledge is not empirically derived. I am an engineer and a tinkerer who has built all of my own equipment. Everything gets performance tested. I also think way out of the box so I've tried some interesting things (like bungees on the rope). I've been around since Russ Stiffler put steel wire in his rope for stiffness (few skiers have been as innovative as he was). I remember the best hand drivers for trick were the jump drivers that hammered you. So I've experienced and evaluated the fundamental advances in trick tech.

Even the B3 and 2 meters of slalom rope added to the spectra are so much stiffer a pull than in the past that it will all feel good.

But we were discussing the why of mixed spectra/poly ropes. Adjusting the length with what is available is the primary reason.

If you are massively strong and overpulling, soften things up with B3 and some slalom rope. If you need to get everything out of the boat to maximize your advance and level attitude, C3+ and full spectra (with the slalom section termination). When that gets you to 10000, do whatever you want (I doubt there will be bungees on the rope).

Eric