Question for Florida residents on boat sales tax

Cnewbert

• Baller

I'm guessing some of you Florida residents can give me a knowledgeable answer:

1. If a Florida resident buys a used boat that is currently registered in Florida, do they have to pay FL sales tax on the used boat purchase price when registering it in their name?

2. If a Florida resident buys a used boat from out of state currently registered in that state, do they have to pay a FL sales tax on the used boat purchase price after bringing the boat to Florida and registering it in their name?

Thanks!

• Baller

Yes to both. When you transfer a boat registration from a sale in Florida the tag off will charge you on the sales price of the boat.

Purchased from another state you bet Florida is going to get the sales tax when you register the boat and trailer for the selling price if the state you bought it in does not.

One trick you could do is don’t register the boat until the current registration expires. That may buy you some time and just keep the bill of sale handy.

• Baller
@MillerTime38, yeah, skiing 3x weekly, sometimes 4x. Mainly on Lake Weir these days. Funny, I was just about to PM you on BOS to see if you've been skiing yet in Japan. Looking forward to some reports once your ski arrives! I have a piece of property on the market and when it sells, I'll be getting a boat. Could be tomorrow, could be 3 years from now, you never know with real estate. I've been a boat mooch too long. It's time to contribute. Leaning toward a Prostar and will have my first chance to try one out soon. Melanie is all in for one, so that hurdle is cleared!

• Baller_

"Vessels used exclusively on private lakes and ponds".

Wonder if that means any lake without a public acces/ramp? Vast majority of lakes in FL have no public access. Can one insure a boat without a title or registration?