Malibu French Open webcast

Andre

• Administrators

I wonder of the event organizers knew that the webcast would show the boat video in slow motion. You can see the boat paths reasonably well. Looking back from the boat does not show the path nearly as well as end coarse but it is an indicator.

Before anyone loses their $H*t at me - Go back and watch the replay.

• Baller

@Bill22 no worries. Came to this thread for link.

@Horton yeah... Use the little gear icon in the lower right corner to slow playback to .25 speed and...

I will say though that looking at propwash probably isn't the best indicator as that should always look a little wavy as the boat is pulled over from side to side and the thrust is adjusted to compensate. Could make it look way worse than it is.

• Baller
@Horton I am no pro driver but I imagine that at 41 the driver has to point the nose of the boat away from the skier. The wake spray will look like it's not straight but the pylon may still be in the center.

Hi guys the boat driving looks pretty spot on. I’m not sure if they had the real time end course with live measurement buoy by buoy monitored constantly by a senior judge, we used in Italy at the week end, The boat is moving away from the current turn to compensate the skier. It’s also a Malibu boat which has a counter clockwise rotating prop and sends it rooster more down the left of the course when you compensate hard. I think you would be amazed what goes on in the boat ?

.. it ant big dawg??

• Baller

check out the overhead drone cam on the Denali homepage to see how propwash makes it look like the pull is being soft-sided. The boat pivots and the prop wash moves but the pylon stays pretty well centered. There's one correction mid-course in that vid that's pretty substantial but the rest of it seems close to centered.

https://www.denaliskis.com/

• Baller
Only way to tell on a straight boat path is to watch the pylon from the end course video. The prop wash shouldn't be straight if you are staying in sync with the skier while the pylon is in the center. We were having a discussion about this with a new driver over the weekend.

• Administrators
@Not_The_Pug I 100% agree that prop wash is not a conclusive way to judge boat path. I'm just saying this video does contains some interesting prop wash.

• Baller

We all know prop wash is just one indicator of boat path. The pylon is what counts.

But, I took some looks at my boat path this afternoon in the mirror, only pulling 32 off at 34 mph.

Even when I felt I might be off a little, I never saw the prop wash ever come any closer than 1 foot from the boat guides on either side. And, I drive a Malibu too.

To have the boat guides buried in prop wash is "interesting".

But, I am more curious what some of the top drivers think. Means much more than what I think.

• Baller
Nonsense, the prop wash is an excellent way to assess boat path. The distance from the pylon to the prop is maybe 6’. The boat would have to be turned at an extreme angle for their to be much centerline difference between the two, it’s just geometry. Not to mention how can you reconcile a dead center prop wash at 1,3,5 and a 6 inch to 9 inch displacement toward the 2,4 turns?

• Baller

@matthewbrown Agree. Maybe a couple of us were being too PC.

But, my main point was prop wash shouldn't be hugging boat guides, especially not hugging the boat guides on same side as the skier. IMHO

At our lake today, I was seeing about a foot of "clean water" between the prop wash and boat guides on both sides.

I am not a tournament driver, but I do strive for a good line, and to slightly pick up the skier out of the turns.

I would have to agree with my friend @matthewbrown The prop wash is an indicator of the boat path. That’s not to say that there is never a variance based on load and counter steering. While the prop was can move depending on the boat and the pylon being centered. It’s usually somewhat closer to the middle. The best view is from the end course camera.

• Baller

In this day how can there not be gps alignment. Sensor on pylon, one at each end of the lake. My car vibrates when I get close to the shoulder lol. At the same time that the rope gets cut, time is good, boat path is confirmed.

Then we wouldn’t have to hear apres whining about events we weren’t at, drivers we don’t know, it’s getting cheezy. The real video to watch is the video of the pylon from the end of the lake.

Will won, tourney head judge signed off on it I’m guessing.... done. Congrats Will! On to the next!

• Baller

Most of the Elite events in Europe are using the latest SplashEyeDrive software. Allows the judge to manually track the boat and get results after each pass. Takes about 10 seconds and gives a yes/no on buoy and cumulative tolerance. Software is free to download on www.splasheye.com/splasheyedrive

Just needs a standard end course camera, laptop and $200 usb video capture card to run it.