Vacuum oil change thingamajig

Horton

• Administrators

Anybody have a recommendation on these things? The one thing I do know is that I need the tubes go all the way down in the bottom of the pan. I used one last month that still left a quart of oil in the pan so we still had to drain it out the bottom of the boat.

m569m7ae8umm.png

• Administrators
@BraceMaker that is what i want to do. Figuring out what the correct threads and part sizes are for the Ilmor. ( I am out of town so I can't actually go lift the engine cover and look)

• Baller

Various oil extractors are fine. But, best not to jam tubing down the dip stick tube. Know someone who went too far and tubing got caught on the crankshaft. $600 later everything was OK.

Use the oil pan drain hose as several have suggested.

• Baller

I agree with @Zman use the drain hose and an extraction device. Do not use dipstick tube as you’ll never get all the oil out.

I personally drain my oil through the drain hose and let it drain overnight. Not worried about getting all of the oil out. I do use an extraction device for removing transmission fluid.

• Baller
I use the Mityvac for transmission oil. Boat is on a trailer so no big deal to drain the oil through the drain tube. The real issue with oil changes is getting the filter off without making a complete mess of the bilge.

• Baller

@DW - that all depends on the boat. In my inlaws 04 LXI the drain plug on the boat puts the engine oil drain hose in a really bad spot - could be solved by extending the hose, but it is a lot easier and cleaner to just put the pump in the boat and attach it to the drain line there.

Now if I could just figure out a clean way to replace the oil filter in that boat. Seems designed to get all over everything.

• Baller_

@liquid d - darn, what was I thinking:-)

@oldjeep - so I could send you the extra 3' of hose my boat happens to have:-) Oil filter mess, yep thanks to adapting an existing item to a different device...

I just happen to like using gravity as my friend and have heard the horror stories of the tube insert versions leaving it in the pan.

• Baller

@oldjeep For the oil filter trying putting a few paper towels in a small plastic bag, then kind of get the bag around the filter once you get it a little loose. Then, finish unscrewing. Captures the dripping oil.

Some engine set ups might make this harder. Works fine on my Txi with 5.7L.

• Baller
@Zman - unfortunately nothing really works on the Black scorpion setup in the inlaws LXI. The oil filter is amongst a bunch of hoses that make it pretty difficult to get out even after it is unscrewed. In my VTX, simple - remote filter, drops straight down into a waiting baggie.

• Baller

@DW - I don't drain mine through the hole mostly because I want to drain it nice and hot. Same with trans fluid - so if I'm doing that I'm running it. Which usually means its going to be on the lift so to use the drain hole you have to crank it up then either stand under the boat in the water holding a drain pan or float under on a paddleboard or whatever. Then if you spill/slosh its in the lake.

I'm also usually removing the oil filter at the same time which means I want to have the bilge plug in so that I can wipe/clean up any mess and not let that into the water.

• Baller
I have a mityvac already that I use for draining the transmission fluid. I'd like to use it to drain my oil, especially when it's on the lift. Does anyone know what size parts to buy to get what Horton has on the previous page made by Richard Doane? The engine is a 2007 Excalibur.

• Baller

@tjs1295 I’m new to the mityvac thing, 1st attempt will be in a month or so.

The plastic hose from it is 10mm OD. And my boat has 1/4” NPT thread on end of drain hose.

So I got adapter from grainger.com.

Pic attached w their part number.

I’ve checked both the mityvac and boat end and seems good.

Hope this helps.

6awexj1ktq4o.jpeg