Advice for Free-skier on Best Wake Open Bow Used Boats

quinne

• Baller

That’s the same one on onlyinboards website that I mentioned before. From the picture it looks really clean. I’ve heard the hammerhead engine is great (Malibu forum), it gives more torque and horsepower vs regular 320 engine as other already said.

As Tim on Home Improvement says “More horsepower”.

When I purchased mine I’m glad I went with the bigger engine.

• Baller
@moski I just figured that out! I've emailed with the owner. He's in negotiation with another buyer but said he'll keep me posted. Shared photos and the upholstery looks rougher than our old Dixie so it's definitely had some use. Also had an engine rebuild but that's not a deal breaker.

• Baller

@quinne Gotcha. Hard to tell at the distance pictures on how interior looks. It’s all a gamble - Yeah sometimes they go fast and sometimes not.

Onlyinbaords: Yellow/white LXI in Wisconsin and then also a white with black stripe LXI in Kentucky look sharp.

Ski it again: 2004 LXI, blue and white in Wisconsin.

We've got an 05 Response Lxi with a wedge and we love it. Runs great and has an awesome slalom wave around 28-36. Put the wedge down and you'll keep the wakeboarder's happy. Not as much storage as a Sunsetter but the rear ski locker gets it done, throw on some racks if you want and you'll have plenty of room. My mom loves the open bow and how spacious the boat is for being a direct drive.

• Baller

Nobody does crossover like Malibu. Either Response LXi for best wake or Sunsetter LXi if the response just isn't big enough for you. When I was boat shopping, I found it very helpful to join the manufacturer specific forums particularly to get old brochure data on the old boats. If you join malibu crew, then this link will work for you.

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/malibu_specs.html/page/10/&d=16

Also, if I remember right, you might consider the Tige 20i from back in the day as it was well known for being a tournament boat with high freeboard.

• Baller
I am pretty sure the "hammerhead" is a 383 c.i. (stroked 350) engine that Malibu offered as the upgrade over the standard 320hp LCR (the standard 350 c.i. engine). IIRC the engine had some issues when it was first introduced, but that they were ultimately fixed. I would ask about that engine specifically on themalibucrew.com, however, and not trust my memory.

• Baller

New data point... I skied behind a 2005 Nautique 205 this morning. I was fine at 31 MPH, 15 off. As ya'll have pointed out, the wake was not as forgiving as the '01 Sunsetter we've been using. However, I think I would have no problem getting used to it and eventually bumping the speed up a little. It was roomy enough for a few kids and another adult. We were out early so there wasn't any chop to deal with but the owner said he doesn't have any issues on our lake, it's just knowing how to drive it.

So knowing that I enjoyed skiing behind the Nautique 205, how would that compare to an '04 206? There is one for sale in my area. The person I was with today said I would want to check on where the impeller is located because that was changed in mid '04 to be easier to access.

Open to thoughts!

-Elissa

• Baller
Just my $.02 but the very best year of Sunsetter LXI was 2003. It had the Monsoon 335 which I recall had all of the performance enhancements of the Monsoon 340 (which came out on the 2004 model year) except for the ETX Manifolds (aluminum integrated manifolds and risers) which tend to spring leaks at the casting riser plugs. If you can find an 03 jump on it!

• Baller

@dvskier thank you! I asked him this morn what model his boat is and he said a 205. He must have meant a 2005 206. Or I misunderstood. Makes a lot more sense now.

@Lieutenant Dan I’m watching the boat sites every day for any ‘99-‘04 sunsetter LXI or ‘03-‘06 Responses. I’m in the SE and not a lot to choose from. Before driving across the country to buy a boat I’m going to give it a few months and hope one comes up closer to home. I really enjoyed the 206 and am keeping an eye out for those too now. I’d like to get a feel for how the MC 205 and 197 compare also. Skied behind a ‘16 Prostar yesterday and let’s just say I didn’t feel worthy!

• Baller
We have a friend that has a 206, I believe about a 2006. Like you saw, the wake isn't the best, but not bad at around 30mph/15off. I haven't skied it at 22off, but I'm guessing that a pretty good size bump. Its a good boat, and its good for the wakeboard/surfing, nice size to pack the kids in.

• Baller

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=51417

Might be a little far from you. My biggest fear on this boat is if you have to trailer it every time you go out. From my limited exposure it seems there are few trailers the 200 really like. Other than that I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better family ski boat than this one.

Was in same boat as you @quinne (am sure not first to make that pun :# ) and just bought a 2000 SSLXI. So far loving it. Most of my skiing however is behind my father-in-law's 2001 VLX (course on their lake). It has the same Diamond Hull as the LXI, skis great and you get the space of a v drive. I really don't notice much difference in wakes skiing at 34 mph 15/22 off. Point is, if you find a VLX from that era, don't shy away just cuz it's a vdrive and are worried about large slalom wakes. There is a 2001 VLX list on a FB waterski buy and sell in MN I think....

• Baller

@phntmski I would LOVE to buy that boat. It's a little out of my price range, especially because I would then have to pay for marriage counseling too.

@jimmyjamesbrown I have been avoiding v-drives based on the feedback on BOS and others. If I have an opportunity to ski behind one I definitely will.

• Baller

@jimmyjamesbrown @quinne I spend a lot of time behind a 2001 VLX (which is the same as the 2002-2004 21 LSV). It's a really great wake for a V drive and skis better than some direct drives I've been behind at speeds above 30 MPH. Where the V drive physics catch up with it is at speeds below 30 MPH. The wakes get BIG quickly once you get below 30. To the point it's disruptive to younger skiers looking to become more aggressive.

So for adults skiing adult speeds, it's remarkably good. For kids that you're hoping to turn into slalom junkies, direct drive is a much better way forward.

• Baller

Thanks folks! @Nole_Skier beautiful boat! I'm trying to lean toward a newer boat because we plan to keep it forever. And I'm willing to wait through the fall to see if any more come up in the SE as people predict. If that doesn't pan out I might start flexing my "nice to haves" and "need to haves". Thank you though!

@moski I've reached out about that boat. Not loving the color but depending on the price, we might be willing to live with it. It's through a dealer who hasn't replied yet.

Thanks @jimmyjamesbrown and @UWSkier! .... noted.

Soooo... what do you all know about 2007 Malibu Response Lxi Monsoon 340? Looks like one is coming up for sale pretty close by. Pretty far out of my price range but only 50+ hours so basically brand new. How is the wake? Ya'll have pointed me toward years '03-'06 for Response. What did they change in '07? Any concerns over such low hours?

Thanks!

Elissa

• Baller

I'm also curious to hear why folks think the 03-06 is so much better than other years. I think you meant to write 340 and not 240...right?

If I go back to your original post, I think the Response LXi is still your best choice. Until the 200 was created in 2010, the LXi had the absolute best wake of any boat ever that also had a walk-through open bow. Can anybody even argue that? At least among the big 3, it doesn't seem like that's even disputable. Maybe I'm just forgetting about some other boat?

So...my opinion is that you would absolutely love a Response LXi. When skiing behind it, you would love it more than many of the bigger boats that have been discussed here so far.

• Baller
The '07 LXi would be a great boat too. It's a little bit bigger boat than the '03-06 but is way less prone to taking water over the bow and is 9.5/10 the slalom boat the '03-06 is. Believe the '07 also still had the novel concept of switches rather than those stupid digital buttons they started putting in the boats around '08 or so.

I'm new to this group - been watching this thread as well - looking for the best combination of direct drive 3 sport boats - currently I ski behind my buddy's Air Nautique 216 - it's a good ride, but looking for my own. Kids just were exposed to surfing (long board foamy), they tube and wakeboard a little - mostly I'm looking for a do it all that has a great wake for me (and some type of Perfect Pass System) so I can teach someone to drive so I can ski behind my own boat! Located in central NC - can't wait to see what the end of the season looks like boat sale wise...

Ok - I'm following this thread, tuned my search for a boat to 2000-2005 Malibu's as well as a PS197 (with ballast and tower if I can find one). Looking at SIA I see a toyota epic 22 direct drive in kansas which looks super clean - there's also a PS197 in Northern GA (no tower, doesn't appear to have ballasts either), There's the Malibu in South Carolina that looks good too - still no tower, manual wedge. Anyone have actual experience behind a Toyota Epic? I can't find a darn bit of information (which itself is a problem). What say ye smarter folks than me?

• Baller
@quinne I just sold our 2002 MC 197 with mini tower for low $20s K. Owned for 15 years, great for course slalom, beginners early wake boarding, barefooting. Family of 6, great memories and all around fun with this boat. I modified the strut and rudder and it had super performance and great slalom wakes. Great boat and enough room. Low maintenance.

A different perspective, given you are long line 30 MPH & have young ones starting out with water sports:

I was in same boat (pun) 12 yrs ago. While I desired a DD for skiing, I went with a V-drive for overall family benefit. So should you. Here’s why:

1. Given the pylon is farther back in the boat, the wake at long line is more spread out; you are farther behind the hump. Thus, it is easier to ski than hitting the hump on a DD. Ladies at slower speeds will particularly appreciate it.

2. Your kids won’t be skiers for long; they will move to wakeboarding, wakeskating, surfing & whatever else comes along that is more fun & dynamic than skiing. Seeing a teenager skiing is extremely rare; pretty much nonexistent. Skiing was going to be my sons thing. Right; nope; other stuff was way more fun. At that point they will hate your DD’s wake. They will be fine with your ballasted V-drive (though they’ll want you to buy a bigger boat).

The key: Buy a light v-drive. My ‘07 Moomba Outback V is 3000 lbs. A Malibu Response TXI DD is 2900 lbs! Buy either a pre-2009 Outback V, a Sanger, or a Sport Nautique.

PS (Seldom is anyone in our open bow unless we are putting about. Never when watersports are in play. No need. V-drive lounge seating is more people friendly. Plus you have nobody obscuring your vision; safety first).

• Baller

I'm going to disagree with @Canuckskier and my whole extended family is proof. We've tried it all and yet we remain, overall and overwhelmingly, a skiing family. From my 74 year old Dad down to my 10 year old son. That's a crazy talk defeatist attitude to just automatically assume your kids won't be skiers for long.

Aside from my son and my Dad having their PB videos below, I've had 3 nephews aged 18-22 that have also set personal bests this summer behind my open bow, tiny wake, 22 year old ski boat. Everybody from old to young in my family is loving the classic, the original, waterskiing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0eM_t1gE6f-t6lmbwI3QOcthKZOzg4kScz86w0/

I can just as easily argue that for @Canuckskier his family doesn't like skiing BECAUSE he chose to buy a v-drive. So was he smart to look in the crystal ball? Or was it a self-fulfilling prophecy? I suppose only he can answer that, but as for me, I'm not going to take my chances. I'll stick with giving my kids the best waterski experience I can afford and if then they still don't like it - well, at least I emptied my clip trying.

• Baller

I couldn't possibly disagree more with @Canuckskier. My whole extended family from old to young skis way more than they do anything else behind the boat - and it isn't because they haven't tried the other stuff.

I can just as easily argue that his kids chose not to ski BECAUSE they had to do it behind a v-drive. I suppose the world will never truly know, but as for me, I'm going to give my kids the best skiing experience possible, and then if they don't like skiing, at least I can rest easy knowing I at least gave it all I had.

Personal bests in my family have been set by folks ages 74, 38, 22, 18 (two of them), and 10 just this summer. All behind an open bow tiny wake ski boat that makes skiing an absolute joy.

Below is the 10 year old.

And 38 year old

See how my ski just takes one little skip over that wake? The last thing in the world I would ever want is a tow point farther back. On these good ski boats, the wakes turn into darn near nothing as you shorten up the rope. My 18yo nephew commented just the other day as he moved from longline to 15 off at 26 mph how much better the wake was and how awesome it was that it was skinnier instead of wider.

• Baller

Let me state this a little differently just from my own personal perspective. I LOVE waterskiing. If all I ever had access to was my boat, I would continue to love waterskiing way more than boarding, skating, or surfing.

However, if I could only ever ride behind a v-drive, I guarantee you I would spend way more of my time boarding, skating, and surfing and I would spend very little time skiing. Is it because they are more fun? No. It's because a v-drive wake sucks the fun right out of waterskiing.

If you only buy your kid cleats is he going to like basketball or football more? Duh. Football.

• Baller

@Canuckskier I totally hear you. All of your points make sense.

However, I'm kind of like @escmanaze I LOVE waterskiing. I'm 44 years old and am loving our ladies morning ski runs every weekend with my sisters and our kids... I want to make the most of that at this time in my life. This boat is about ME. It's MY boat. (My husband, a mountain biker, is being extremely supportive God bless him!) My 7 year old daughter, fortunately is loving slalom now as well as knee-boarding and we're having a blast enjoying these sports as a mama-daughter team. That's why I want the best ski boat I can find (and afford) that works for a family too. When she grows up, gets a job and saves her money she can buy HER dream boat, whatever that is!

@escmanaze great videos! I'm skiing 15 off @30MPH behind a SS now. Have to slow it down behind the Dixie given the wake jumping. Better skiers (ex: my sisters) handle the Dixie wake just fine. Trying out an '07 Response tomorrow.

• Baller

@quinne I love to hear it. Whether you like this particular response or not, I think you will really like the wakes that the response has to offer in comparison to your SS. In fact, just like you mention being able to run 30 on your sunsetter and not being able to run 30 on the Dixie, I really think that with a small amount of time getting used to the response, you will find a very similar step up. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if very shortly after upgrading from an SS to a response, you find yourself one full speed better on the response and are skiing 32 on it.

Some guys on here will kill me for saying that, but I've found that most of the guys who disagree are deep shortliners with perfect form and are probably pretty heavy. They don't relate to lighter lesser skiers with less than perfect form who truly are able to ski significantly better as the wake gets smaller.

• Baller_
@quinne - Suggestion, go to the AWSA water ski site and look up the approved tow boats for the years you are considering. The manufacturers certify their best slalom boats so that would be a great reference point.

• Baller

soooo.... this happened on Saturday.

zpb7eqir7bal.jpeg

Bought my dream boat! '07 Response LXi. Got her in the water by Sat evening and skied first thing Sun morn. Wakes are beautiful, super family friendly, takes chop amazingly well, immaculate condition.

You guys have been tremendous. Thanks so much @escmanaze @UWSkier @moski @Canuckskier @DW @jhughes @ScottScott @Ski_Dad @andjules @Siouxcitysmitty @WaterSkier12 @6balls @vtmecheng @pjnyk @jjackkrash @Lieutenant Dan and everyone else who weighed in. All of this information and hours of homework helped me to know when the right boat appeared and I grabbed it. Took my dad and husband along (both mechanical engineers) and turns out the owner is a ME too. Not too far of a drive from our lake, skied great. It was one of those "meant to be" kind of things. Buyer and seller both happy and now I'm sending him photos like I've adopted his baby.

@cletuspapa good luck! PM me... there is a Nautique 206 I've been keeping an eye on in VA only a couple of hours away. The owner is motivated. Looks sharp.

Thanks so much everyone!!

• Baller

@quinne —- Congratulations!!!!!! Ive also tried to reply to your PM but it wont let me. Congrats on the boat for you and your family, pretty boat. Good to year the underwater lights are factory installed, knew you were nervous about that if they were aftermarket install. Agree with others - u should also join the forum malibucrew.com.

Man o man - i remember the feeling (pure excitement) like yesterday when i bought my 1997 MC prostar 205 in 2012. Then the feeling (little sad) of watching it being sold and pulled out of my driveway in 2017, then month later the feeling (pure excitement and joy) of buying my 2015 Malibu TXI.

Congratulations again! That’s awesome and pretty boat. Happy skiing!!!