If It Was Suggested That You Down Grade Your Ski ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Due to Age skiing @32 mph (old boy) I am what they used to call busy on the ski or though I have calmed down a bit, somebody has suggested that I down grade my ski as it is designed for 36mph shortline.

Skis I have been on, Connelly Concept, KD CR7, Sixam, HO A1, HO S2, Mapple, Radar Vapor, Currently Radar Pro Build.

There were various other skis that did not work out.

Would you down grade ?

What would you down grade to ?

Unfortunately the 2019 Senate did not work out for me.

• Baller

@customski

I like the idea of one length but varying width for weight of skier, but looking at video the ski looks quite radical and fairly sure my skill set may struggle with it, would be nice if there was other videos of the C75 with a club skier on it with not so much technical ability.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy, now that you're skiing 32, what is happening that makes you feel that your current ski is not working for you? What are your personal bests at 34? What are you able to do at 32? Don't expect to pick 6 buoys. Some people do, but it's not always the case.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy, I'm also an older 32 mph skier and just made the switch to a Senate Pro after riding HO skis for years. First ride on the Senate Pro was awful and it took me about 4 full sets to adapt to the ski but now I love it. Set a new practice PB during my 7th set (5th in the course). It's a great ski and I'm glad that I stuck with it. BTW: I'm riding mine with a WhisperFin.

• Baller

@LeonL used to get 5@28 off 34mph at 32mph I have been down to five ball at 28 off but at present if I run some 22offs not always, I only get 2@28off.

One of the main problems unlike 34mph where there wasn,t any issue, at 22off 32mph the bump is killing me not always but my knees do not like it, I seem to get pulled onto a flat ski at the first wake sometimes I manage to keep the ski on edge all the way through and it;s a lot easier, not sure but because I am of a heavier build I load fairly early, which I think is pulling me up at the first wake.

People trying to help do not want me to load at all, but then I do not feel like I am going anywhere, or I get pulled out of position off the turn, the position thing is better now that I have moved the bindings back a bit, bearing in mind I am a senior skier, you cannot get a way from the fact that I am old school, but willing to change, but change is hard when you have skied for years the old way.

180llbs on a 67" ski

I would love to give that Denali C75 a go, but thats not likey to happen, as I do not have $2000 to speculate.

• Baller

You might consider the HO Omni, designed for 30-34MPH skiers with a wider profile, clean edge tail, and more to make it easier to progress in the course. Or perhaps ‘regress’ in your case, going from 34 to 32mph, as your Sageness increases. ?

Reasonably priced too - for those of us that are chasing 28off and not 38off...

• Baller

@Stevie Boy I feel your pain. I'm 69 and as we get older our body get slower/weaker. Slowing the boat down to 32mph, I found you have to work harder. Wake gets a little bigger. We are not as strong as we were. Less muscle mass maybe more weight.

When I started skiing 32mph I was 205lbs and had to go up from a 67" to a 68" ski to keep it moving around the ball. It also helped cross course. Now at 69 and weight at 185 I'm back on a 67" EVO and having fun. Free skiing at 34mph, course skiing at 32mph.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

Thanks Guy,s nice to know I am not the only one with the bump issues at 5'6 stocky, big chest/shoulders I am fairly strong, haven't got to the saggy bit yet keep myself relatively fit, people have commented as I get weary my skiing improves, because I cannot give it some welly.

The thought of going to a bigger ski frightens me, my best skiing was on a 66" it took me forever to get used to a 67".

68" is just not happening

Will the slightly wider ski like the Omni make the Bump worse ?

• Baller
@Stevie Boy last spring I went from a 2015 senate graphite to a 2017 vapor probuild. I was skiing 32mph 15 & 22 off. I felt the vapor cut through the wake better however it may not be a fair comparison due to ski's being from different years and serious focus on technique on my part.

• Baller_
Nothing wrong with working on gates at all. Probably the most beneficial thing you could do for the jump from 22 to 28 off. See GUT gate by Adam Caldwell (video somewhere on this forum).

• Baller
I know you have heard this before but at 32 mph you have to be more progressive with your pull after the finish of your turn. This will also make it possible to keep on edge through the 22off bump. When you turn and burn you have to much speed coming into the wakes making you come of edge while hitting the the bump. 28 off and shorter your in front of the bump and you can getaway with turning and burning to a point, just remember your ski is deeper in the water and you will experience more load compared to 34mph out of the buoy. Some have found going up a letter on ZO helps if your loading out of the buoy. I would stay on the ski your comfortable with. I ski a lot of 22off's at 32mph behind an 08 196 and a 2018 200 and I ski the same behind both. I actually can not tell any difference 22-32off between the two

• Baller
I am 59 years old and have been skiing at 32 mph last year and this year. I was on an HO VTX and then the HO Pro. I loved both of those skis. I mean, hey, I should be on the best that HO has! Right:?! Then I tried the Syndicate Omni. BOOM! I found my ski!! I sold the Pro and I haven't looked back. I absolutely love the Omni. It is effortless to ski and get up on. I can ski more passes and more sets because I don't have to work as hard. It is fast and carries outbound direction effortlessly. I can't say enough about this ski.

• Baller

So you didn't like the senate at 34 mph. Ok. But have you tried it at 32 mph?

I only ask because I've been anywhere from 175 to 195 while skiing on a 69" senate from 2012, a 68" vice-C from 2013 and now a 67" Senate from 2018. There was a time when the 67" senate was an absolute dream at 30 and 32 mph as it was the perfect balance between the 69" senate and the 68" vice-c. However, lately, I've been giving more and more tries at 34 mph and having more and more success there. In the middle of it all, the thought has crossed my mind "Hmm...I wish I hadn't sold that Vice. I wonder if there's a chance I would like it more than my senate at 34 mph even though I liked the senate more at 30 and 32 mph."

• Baller

@APB my bindings will no longer position on the 2019 senate range without making plates up, they have re-positioned their holes on the 2019 skis.

I do not mind a bit of fiddling but Radar is now out of the equasion for me, shame I really liked their product.