Denali C75 Review

Horton

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Next ride Saturday. We have a new boat and a new lake to try, so we can try new settings too.

Having said that I am only willing to try settings that are better. @Horton can try the more experimental ones :smile:

• Baller

@VONMAN

For the Small: 6.710, 2.460, 1.030, 7deg Swing, or 10deg flat with 28.5-28.75" front boot.

For the Medium: 6.720, 2.465, 1.080, 7deg Swing or 10deg flat, with 28.5-28.75" front boot.

For the Large (still untested): 6.730, 2.470, probably 1.10?

I will find out on this one in the next couple days hopefully.

• Baller

@mbabiash

I have a few skiers on Medium and Small size skis at 22-35 off skiing very very well...even in the off season only skiing once a week or less, but so far no idea on the Large.

With the 10deg flat wing things are free-er/faster, but not as good at shortline as the bent wing. Im guessing someone with double boots will need more length then this....as opposed to a kicker or r-style.

The purpose of posting these numbers is to get feedback from whoever is on the water because I really have no idea. I stumbled upon them playing around and was I was blown away by what it was doing. Hoping to see what it feels like on the Large today...

There is a lot of glide speed with this setup, but still provides ample decel into the apex, and the best part was took more pressure off the body behind the boat - without being too loose or fast in the turn - which is always a great combo.

• Baller
@adamhcaldwell, interesting to see you mention the added length with double boots. The settings Cord helped me land on are not too far from these for my med, but with greater length and shorter DFT, running double reflex with a loose upper cuff per your suggestion. Your description matches my feeling with those settings running 22-35. Unfortunately, I am not skiing now, otherwise would be happy to help.

• Baller

@Blueski

It may be a little tricky to visualize, but with a double boot setup (especially a higher/stiffer one) the rear leg imparts a greater rolling and pitch moment that acts to subtly lever the tip higher and influence the roll angle of the ski.

The influence on the skis roll is different though in different areas of the course. The rear leg will want to roll the ski flatter (or create more resistance to roll) into an onside turn (make it harder to bank up as early) - as well as during and on-side pull for the same reasons. This can make the ski shoot out in front of you a bit (acting like a fin that is too deep and too short - making life even more difficult). Conversely - during an offside pull, the back leg can help you roll the ski over more, but again, it acts to lever the tip slightly higher out of the water then what we ideally might want to see. Same can be said for the preturn into the offside which will make the ski want to run parallel past the ball.

When comparing setups for a kicker or R-style to a taller rear boot , typically I find the double boot setup needs to be generally longer & shallower. IMO its the best way to balance out the roll and pitching moments described above.

Sometimes moving the boots forward can help, however, that can put you out of the zone of the natural balance point the ski is designed to be riding at. Boots forward ends up putting more ski behind you but also with more ski whetted out under and in front of you. This ends up creating a bigger "paddle" in the water that becomes harder and harder to create the desired yaw and pitch rotation in the preturn and finish to keep you on time, early and wide. This is where a combo move of boots forward AND increasing DFT could be applied.

• Baller

@mbabiash - Decided to continue skiing on the Medium over the weekend. Will pull the large out this coming week and spend several days on it.

I did put a couple different 220lber (5' 6") on a Medium. Settings above were "too draggy", but just pulled the fin straight back from 1.08 to 1.00 and went from 9wing to 7 or 8.

Each said it felt free-er and more nimble then other skis he had been riding. Couple different Goods and a D3. He was on double rubber boots. We plan to make a couple more tweaks today.

Overall the last couple seasons I've found that the tall guys do better on "bigger" skis then shorter guys do, even with weight (200+ lbs) being considered. Just need to pull the fin back to correct the attitude of the ski (by creating more lift behind the feet), and sometimes tweak depth/length depending on their ski style.

An important dynamic I look for is that the forebody engages enough to develop speed and angle into the first wake on the gateshot, and also out of 1 ball.

Conclusion from yesterday for the short & shallow 2.465, 6.720ish settings noted previously:

For 170-185lbs the DFT at 1.080 with 9-10 flat wing (or 7 swing) looked good.

For 210-225lbs the DFT at 1.00 with 7-8deg flat wing looked good.

More to come.

• Baller
Just went out on my medium with 6.720, 2.465, 1.080 7° s-wing 28.50" reflex FB / RTP . These numbers work very well didn't miss a pass. I have a bruised front knee bone and today is the first time I've been able to bend my leg all week so I stayed @ 34/-22 but I'm sure I will run my 32 no problem. These numbers are very close to what I was running on my beta 7.5 except for boot location. And I thought about trying these numbers back in September. Until Cord helped me with some extremely short extremely deep and extremely far forward numbers that I loved & PBed with I think these numbers are at least as good as those if not better but because my knee is the way it is I think I better let it rest another week.

• Baller

@Skierx - Awesome to hear - thanks for the feed back.

Whats your height and weight & ski size?

I'm finding that these settings get better as the rope gets shorter! Only thing I have seen (depending on skier/style) is tip getting a touch low on offside when really early for the ball. Going to 2.475 seems to fix that if its happening at all.

• Baller
@CReckard &@Stefan if you're running a double boot the rear boot will need to be removed. End of the tape measure goes just beneath the black Block at the back of the front boot, all the tape to the end of the tail of the ski. I was riding this when@ cord replied. @adamhcaldwell nice drone video .it really shows how early you start taking the angle out of the ski and pointing down course paralleling the boat.

• Baller

@AdamCord @Skierx , Thanks, I’ve measured from the point you suggest, maybe I was unclear in my description. I have both binders on one single plate so I have put a piece of a tape measure on the ski under the back part of the plate. After that it’s a piece of cake to move your front boot location35kjv7hgprx7.jpeg

• Baller
@adamhcaldwell skied yesterday at the setting above. was sometimes getting folded coming off the ball. Today too much tip presure I went a little deeper as you suggested. 6.718, 2.475 , 1.080 7° s-wing 28.50" FB reflex/ RTP c-75 med ROCKS! This setup is awesome. Thanks!

• Baller_
Sometimes life just keeps you off the water. I've not gotten the ski time I'd hoped for a while now. Or maybe aging is catching up to me or both. Buoy count has suffered as expected. That doesn't help the mental game and motivation. Hate to admit it but 35s were not going down. Some here and there but not what I'm used to. Then the c75 showed up. Ok, I've been riding Denali's. A slump is a slump. Lack of water time plus mental rut should equal not much to gain ...maybe. Was very excited regardless considering the buzz and how diff this version is from all previous. After 5 sets, 35s are coming back. And rather quickly. 2 back to back went down today. Positive and motivated mental state also quickly coming back. Excitement actually. What's nuts is my mistakes in the course are not from the usual suspects. It's from running an earlier and physically easier line defying logic while having distracted thoughts of "how did that just happen" running through my head. Had a $hitty gate last night in what should have been an un-runnable 35 as I should not have made it out to ball 1. By 4 ball, I was back in the pass to almost normal pace and ran it. Driver kept saying how well I skied considering. Told him it's not me. It's the ski. Biased...maybe.. but had to share and thank the Adams not so much for seeing 35s again and hopefully 38s go down but for the positive mental change its given me. Can't wait to see what's possible when water time increases. Definitely motivated now. ??

• Baller

@Wish - Definitely awesome to hear.

For anyone playing with the recent settings from above, seems like people on the lighter side of the weight range for a ski are liking them a little deeper towards 2.475 for the 32 & 35off range.

If at and beyond 35off, definitely go with the S-wing and don't be surprised when you start seeing more width and space at your harder passes then your openers!